officefiend is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003

Simple Database

All -

First off, this is my first time on the forum and I hope someone is willing to help out as I am in need of some assistance in creating a database.

I am sure this is quite a simple database to create, but I'm lost as to the best way to approach it.

Basically, I need to create a database that will perform the following functions.

1.) Import two Excel files (I can handle the import part as I am familiar)
    a.) Receiving File
    b.) Upgrade File

2.) Utilize (2) fields out of the Receiving File -> "Received Serial Number" and "Receive Date"

3.) Utilize (2) fields out of Upgrade File --> "Upgrade Serial Number" and "Upgrade Date"

4.) Basic form in where a user can scan a serial number and if the database finds it in the "Received Serial Number" it will then see if it is also in the "Upgrade Serial Number". If this is the case, it will then compare the "Receive Date" of that serial number with the "Upgrade Date" of said serial. If "Upgrade Date" is equal to or greater than the "Receive Date" separate field will change to either "Upgraded" or "Not Upgraded".

5.) Once "Upgraded" or "Not Upgraded" appears user can click back on serial box and it will clear out for next entry.

In a nutshell ...

If "Receive Date" => "Upgrade Date" then "Upgraded" else "Not Upgraded" (If background could turn green for "Upgraded" and red for "Not Upgraded" that would be a bonus.

I am not sure what would be the easiest method to make this happen.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	database.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	13085

Any basic assistance on the best way to create something like this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!
    Greg

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Saving calculated data (data dependent on other data) is usually a bad idea and often just not necessary.

I suspect query or a sequence of queries could automate this data edit for the entire dataset without any more user interaction than a single click of a button - maybe as part of the import procedure.

Any queries built to perform UPDATE action would involve a joining of the two tables and calculation in the query to compare dates and determine appropriate status value.

Instead of running an UPDATE, just bind a form to the query. Scanning serial number could trigger code to filter form to the serial number record and display the calculated status field in textbox with relevant background color.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.