rpmyhero is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

How do I get dlookup values to store in table

I am using Access 2003. I created 2 tables a BusLic Table and a TaxReturn table. I created a form for the BusLic data entry and I used a dlookup function to lookup zipcodes, city and state in a zipcodes database i downloaded. When i enter the zipcode for any business license the form automatically fills in the city and state fields.(Works great!). Makes things alot easier.I then created a Tax Return form which i used the dlookup to lookup the business name and address from the BusLic table (It works). However, when i try to dlookup the city and state it does not work. In reviewing the dlookup statement i went and checked the BusLic table to see if the city's that were retrieved by the dlookup in the BusLic form were there but they werent. Is it because when data is retrieved into a field through a dlookup they are not stored as data and it is only the data that is actually entered (typed in) that is stored vs dlookup values? Is there a way to have access store the dlookup values in the the appropiate fields in the BusLic table? Otherwise, if i decide to use the BusLic table for other forms or queries the information wouldn't be there to retrieve, therefore, i would have to type in each city and state and not use the dlookup for zipcodes which was the purpose of having it automatically fill in the appropriate city and state. I hope and pray you have an answer

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows XP Access 2002
    If you create a query thet joins the BusLic table with your ZipCode table on the ZipCode field and include the City and State fields from the ZipCode table, then every time you change the ZipCode the City and State will automatically change with it.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.