EddieN1 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007

Write Conflict on all Memo Fields in a SQL View for a Specific Row

I have an Access Front End/SQL Server 2008 R2 Back End application that has been in production for over a year. Some users recently started reporting some Write Conflict errors. In a View with about 10,000 rows, I have isolated one row that creates the problem. (There may be others, but I haven't found them.). There are about 10 Memo fields in the view. When I open the View in datasheet mode and try to change any of the Memo fields in this one row, I get a Write Conflict error. I can change the same Memo fields in other rows fine. I can also change the same Memo fields in the "bad" row if I open the underlying Table, rather than the View, in datasheet mode. If I open the Table or View in SQL Server Management Studio, I can change the Memo, actually nvarchar(MAX), fields successfully. The table has included a Timestamp field since the outset. We normally have over 75 users in the database at once and have never had this problem before. I ran across a few articles that said that on occasion the "pointers" that Access uses with Memo fields could be corrupted, but I don't know if this applies only to Access Backends, rather than SQL Server Backend. I removed and re-linked the views, but that had no effect. Any suggestions would be appreciated... a solution would be honored with copious amounts of beer... Eddie

EddieN1 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Here's the problem. In addition to the Memo fields in the queries, there was also a numeric field name DiscountPercent. This has a datatype of float (17 digits) in SQL Server and as double (15 digits) in Access. Somehow an extra digit was created in SQL Server for this record (I still don't know how that happened) so, from Access's point of view, it overflowed. When I tried to save the record, Access determined a data change since the read and reported a Write Conflict. (I don't know why it identified this condition only when changing a Memo field.) Anyway, if I change DiscountPercent and change it back, the overflow condition is corrected and the rewrite works as expected. I can now change the Memo fields. I duplicated the problem by adding a digit to the DiscountPercent directly in SQL Server using SQL Server Management Studio and was not able to change the Memo fields till I took it back off.

Hope this helps someone else down the road.

Thanks, Eddie

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.