pbouk is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows Vista Access 2010 64bit

where to put FE and how best to deliver updates

I have created a database, and split it, for use by approximately 18-20 people in my workplace.

Currently both BE and FE are located on the shared drive. I had intended to put a copy of the FE on everyone's C drive, but I was still making some design changes and decided to wait until I was done.
    Now, it seems to be working quite well, and as we don't have many users, and only one editor, I'm wondering if it's okay to keep the FE on the shared drive?
    It would mean I can make updates whenever I like and not bother people with having to upload new versions.

We don't have any password protection or anything, we just have a form for editing/admin that everyone knows not to use.

OR perhaps there is a way of putting it on the local drive, and making sure everyone has the most up-to-date version? Right now I'm pretty sure that unless I go around to everyone's computer and update it, no-one will bother to do it themselves.

thanks

Beetle is offline Unrelatable
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I'm wondering if it's okay to keep the FE on the shared drive?
    No, unless you enjoy dealing with corruption issues.

OR perhaps there is a way of putting it on the local drive, and making sure everyone has the most up-to-date version?
    There are several methods for dealing with updates. You can find a free FE updating tool at this link.

thanks for this tool. What exactly is a Front End Master, and where would I store it?
    Can you explain a little more how it works?

Thank you.

Beetle is offline Unrelatable
    When you distribute an application to multiple users you create .accde (A2007 and later) or .mde (A2003 and earlier) file from within your original file and the .accde/.mde copy is what gets distributed to your users (including yourself if you use the app). The original file then becomes your design master. The original file should be used for design changes only.

The way the tool works is that it creates small tables (1 in your front end file and 2 in your back end file) to keep track of version numbers and the location of the master design copy. Once you have completed the initial setup you create your .accde/.mde file and distribute a copy to each user. After that when you make design changes you update the version number in both locations (the fe and the be). When the users open their copy, if their local version number doesn't match the current one, the app is closed and the new file is copied to their local folder.

The tool was created by Bob Larson, who does post in this forum.

boblarson is offline --------
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    The tool was created by Bob Larson, who does post in this forum.
    I haven't for a long, long time but just did yesterday and today. LOL

pbouk - feel free to go to my website and to my Contact Me page to email me directly if you have any questions about the tool, how to set it up, troubleshooting, etc. I am okay with getting email if it directly pertains to something on my site.

Thanks all for this suggestion, I will take a look at it closely this week and let you know if I have any further questions.

Quote Originally Posted by pbouk View Post
    Thanks all for this suggestion, I will take a look at it closely this week and let you know if I have any further questions.
    Hi there,
    I have a quick question regarding this application. I am not using an accde/mde file (the computers in my workplace, it turns out, have different bits - some are 32-bit some are 64-bit and this is causing me some problems). Right now, I hope to just keep the database in mdb/accdb format.
    Can I still use this application to make updates?

Thank you

NTC is offline VIP
    a design in 32 bit will work in 64 bit but not necessarily the other way around....so design in 32 generally is a good idea. 32 bit Office can load on the 64 bit OS without a problem....

the auto FE distribution typically is independent of the file type and so it doesn't matter if it is not accde

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.