stevemills04 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Access Query with links to Excel, export to XML and back into Excel

Hi All,

Thank you so much for any help you can provide. I am using Excel and Access 2010.

I have an excel spreadsheet with 8 tabs. They are all in the same format and column order. They are employees grouped by region. My ultimate goal is to merge all of these onto one excel tab, relatively instantly. I created a master tab and tried doing array formulas and Vlookups, it worked but my spreadsheet was way too slow.

My solution? Import and link them to an Access database, step complete. Create an XML export then import into Excel.

My problem? The only way to update the excel tab with the combined tabs is to save the excel file after changes, go back into Access, re-export to XML, then go back into excel and refresh the data.

My questions, is there any way to automate this process to the point that I can change excel, save, then hit refresh on my excel tab with the XML import to auto-update? Or, if there is a complete better solution, I will use it.

Thank you so much!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Why use Excel at all?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

We have users enter data on their tab. Some of the options require data validations, formulas, etc.. Very few people use Access so it would require an extra learning curve, something we are not willing to handle at the moment.

June7 is offline VIP
    I expect it can be automated with VBA code. Next question - why XML? Access has tools for export direct to Excel.

Might be easier to abandon Excel and migrate totally to Access.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I thought it would be VBA, just not able to find any help with the coding. I have exported to Excel several times and it says complete but never exports. When I open the file the information is nowhere to be found. The only thing I have had success with was XML.

June7 is offline VIP
    There is the import/export wizard, which I suppose you use for the XML export. I don't do a lot of export to Excel but I have used both the wizard and various forms of VBA code to accomplish.

I am using the wizard, but like I said, I have to go back into Access, run the export process, then jump back into excel and refresh. Was just looking to automate the export process.

Thank you for helping!

June7 is offline VIP
    If you want to see examples of other export methods, review http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...el-414974.html
    Look at the two additional links in the last post.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.