ManLabor is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Use of apostrophes vs. quotation marks in functions

I am trying to use the ConcatRelated() function and am having problems passing the "Where" argument when I use a value from a form.

ex ConcatRelated('[txtError]','[tblWorkload]','[tblWorkload].[Analyst] like [AnalystNameonForm]','',' Delimiter').

My first question is why I only can seem to get the function to work if each is enclosed by an apostrophe. I see the examples always use quotation marks. I have the same issue with builtin functions like Dlookup.

Secondly, I can get this to work if I type in the [AnalystNameonForm] surrounded by quotes like the example, but if I try to use the value of the field, I get errors for too few arguments. I can also get this to work if I put the above argument directly into the module.

Thanks for any help

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    LIKE operator is only useful with wildcard, otherwise just use = sign.

Must concatenate variables. Reference to field/control as parameter is a variable.

Not sure why the issue with quote mark. Where are you calling the function?

Is this Allen Browne's code? http://allenbrowne.com/func-concat.html

What is the separator you want - comma, colon, semi-colon?

I prefer apostrophe as text delimiter instead of quote pair (same for domain aggregate functions like DLookup).

If you are calling from a textbox on form or report and want comma separator, this should work:

ConcatRelated("[txtError]","[tblWorkload]","[Analyst] ='" & [Analyst] & "'")

Really should use analyst unique ID as criteria instead of name.

You don't show any order criteria.
    Last edited by June7; 04-16-2013 at 03:55 PM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ManLabor is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Yes this is using Allen Browne's code.

If I replace Allen's code for the string variable, the function works correctly.

strSql = strSql & " WHERE " & "[Workload and Error]![Analyst] Like " & Chr(34) & "*" & Forms![Workload Review Form]![analyst 5] & "*" & Chr(34)

Note: this is with [analyst 5] = "initials"

This is the result from debug.print strSQL:

SELECT [Workload and Error]![Error 1] FROM [Workload and Error] WHERE [Workload and Error]![Analyst] Like "*Initials*"

If I use the following as the control source on a textfield in a Report:

=ConcatRelated('[Workload and Error]![Error 1]','[Workload and Error]','[Workload and Error]![Analyst] like " & chr(34) & "*" & Forms![Workload Review Form]![Analyst 5] & "*" & chr(34)','',' // ')

This is the result from debug.print strSQL

SELECT [Workload and Error]![Error 1] FROM [Workload and Error] WHERE [Workload and Error]![Analyst] like " & chr(34) & "*" & Forms![Workload Review Form]![Analyst 5] & "*" & chr(34)

This gives the error 3075, Syntax error in string in query expression '[Workload and Error]![Analyst] like " chr(34) & "*" & Forms![Workload Review Form]![Analyst 5] & "*" chr(34)'
    Not sure why the issue with quote mark. Where are you calling the function? This is from the control source of a text field on a Report. I will have to keep searching on this.

I prefer apostrophe as text delimiter instead of quote pair (same for domain aggregate functions like DLookup). I used "//" as the delimiter. I was was doing the original post from memory.If you are calling from a textbox on form or report and want comma separator, this should work:

ConcatRelated("[txtError]","[tblWorkload]","[Analyst] ='" & [Analyst] & "'")

You don't show any order criteria. No sorting is really needed for this application.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.