ldypurple is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Post team building database

I am trying to build a database that will track a team building project. Below are the details:

1. I have a group of 80 people
    2. I need to put them in teams of twos every quarter.
    3. In Excel, I created a spreadsheet on the left side, i assigned a number to each person in the group
    4. On the left side of the spread sheet I added four columns - Q1 - Q2 - Q3 - Q4
    5. I took the numbers assigned on the left side and begin to put people in twos by keying in the Q1 column a number that is assigned to someone else.
    6. So the first person 1 is now a partner with person 2.
    7. they will work on everything as partners until Q2 comes up and then we will reassign teams. So person 1 may be partnered with person 4
    8. During the quarter i need to be able to give a report to show who the partners are for that quarter and what projects they are working on
    9. i will need to do this each quarter.
    10. I am a beginner at Access, but I know that Access is the best way to go.
    11. I need help!!!!

Time wont allow me to study on my own so I need advice, instruction and someone who loves to help me beginner in access do what I know Access can do.

I am attaching a sample spreadsheet

Any takers?

Thanks so much for your help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

alansidman is offline VIP
    I would start with two tables.
    tNames
    --------
    nID PK (Autonumber)
    First
    Last

tPartners
    ----------
    rID PK (autonumber)
    nID FK (long Integer)
    pID FK (long Integer)
    qtr (integer)

Create a Query
    Code:
    SELECT tNames.First, tNames.Last, tPartner.qtr,pNames.First, pNames.Last
    FROM (tNames INNER JOIN tPartner ON tNames.ID = tPartner.nID) INNER JOIN tNames AS pNames ON tPartner.pID = pNames.ID
    WHERE (((tPartner.qtr)=[Insert Quarter]));;
    You can import your names from Excel to Access using the import wizard. This will get you started. You should probably build forms for data input once you have your tables and queries set.

You might want to start with these two short reads to help you understand what is happening what you need to do. Access has a very steep learning curve.

http://www.deeptraining.com/litwin/d...aseDesign.aspx

http://www.accessmvp.com/strive4peace/

Good luck. Post back with questions on specific issues as you move forward.

Thanks so much - i have been trying to learn Access for a year or so and have some understanding of it. I get confused about relationships or i get stuck at that point. I am watching a video this week on relationships and plan to read the information you sent. When i study it, it all makes sense, but when i try to apply it to a new database of my own, i get stuck.

Thanks again - I will previal. You are truly awesome!!!

one more thing -
    I know what nID is - that is the primary key in the Name Table
    I am not sure what the rID is, but am assuming it is the PK for the Partners table.
    I understand that he nID that is listed in the Partners table is the foreign key or the id from the Name table.
    I am not sure what the pID is unless it is the ID that will be keyed in the field that links the two people.
    Finally, the qtr (integer) is the quarter field so i will know which quarter they are in.

Your query is beautiful! i don't understand Inner Join but can't wait to learn.

I will import the names to save time and build the forms.

Yep Access is hard to learn, but I plan to learn it. I can't afford to go to class right now so I will study to show myself approved, ask questions and hope for the best.

Thanks again. talk to you soon.

After reading the information that you sent me, i realize i am working so hard on my job that i just don't know what to do. I see where at least three databases would help my life so much that i don't knw where to start, but I know where to start. I need to create the databases that I need from scratch and step by step work to understand them and fix the problems as I go so I can learn it hands on.

I took a look over this weekend and see that i have a spreadsheet for so many things that should be in databases. I am counting things, tracking paid time off, tracking inventory, and the beat goes on. I have learned to set up workbooks in Excel and link them to get totals for my month end reports. If only i could fix this stuff, get it all in a database(s) i could work so much smarter.

I have tried to get my boss to send me to class, but he does not understand what Access or any database can do for him so no go. He just wants the end product. I see I am drowning at my job and I see why I am at work all hours trying to do things that would work in a database by giving reports, running queries and becoming more efficient. I am determined to learn and I do appreciate you.

Start on what you deem to be the simplest of the projects. Build your tables. Create your forms. Build your queries. Post back here often as you move through this steep curve. There are lots of smart and helpful people here that will get you to the end or near the end of the road. Keep plugging. It will get easier.

Alan

I got your PM. I am not sure what you are expecting back from me at this time. If you have a question that I missed or you don't understand how to deal with, then please repost here. I did not realize that there were any open issues here to resolve.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.