Born2Gamble is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Hired someone for SQL Server/ Visual Basic-getting screwed

Hey Guys,

First off I know absolutely nothing about programming, I created a database on Access 2010, and im noob even on that.

I have an access DB that I hired someone to port that over into SQL for me and also do the VB/design.
    I told him, I want what I have now on my access database, put online so I can be able to login from anywhere.
    It has been very awful/stressful so far, and have lost most of my patience as he said it would be complete in 2-3 months and it has dragged on to now 10 months, with him now telling me I am his lowest priority at this point. (YES, slap in the face)
    I have already advanced him $2,000.00 and he has about 90% of the site complete ( Its been that way for the past 4 months though.)
    Coupled with the fact he will not respond to e-mail/txt/phone call messages for 2 weeks-month at a time.

So I have a few questions, because we had a disagreement on certain areas.
    In access, It is very easy to create a basic query, how long does it usually take in SQL/Visual basic to accomplish the same thing? Or I guess more importantly, how long would it take to replicate this specific situation.

This is a truck transportation database.
    tblCustomer
    tblOrder

On my access database I have a listbox grabbing all the names from my tblCustomer
    When I select the Customer, out pops the results of the past loads I have done for that customer, It is about 10 different fields, Order#, Carrier, Rate$, Date, etc.

Attached is a pic of what I am talking about from my Access DB

How Long would it take to duplicate this using sql/visual basic. ( believe he is using php , again im very new but it is what I see in the url on what he has done)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CustomerSearch.jpg  

IT_Charlies is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I'm a new to databases my self, but what i am getting from what you have posted is that you would like to access your database from any where, well i have a nood suggestion.

Why not just REMOTE DESKTOP to the PC that has your database in it? if your sitting at the airport with your laptop and need to make some changes etc to your database it would be as easy as sitting in front of the PC with the database. and you can access it from anywhere you are as long as you have internet connection.

On the design part i hired someone to help me out because i dont know programming but my guy took a week to design mine with Access VBA.

I suggest next time you hire someone to work for you, make a contract, that way you wont get screwed, and if you do you can sue them because you have a contract that says he promised to do a job and didnt deliver.

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Without getting into the nitty-gritty (I happen to know PHP myself, although I primarily use MySQL for the backend), PHP/web development is a completely different animal from Access development... There are two major differences:
    • First, PHP is a fully-developed and realized programming/scripting language. This means that many of the things that are hard - or even impossible - to do in Access VBA are simple in PHP.
    • Second, creating an interface - the web page you use to get around the database in - is MUCH more time consuming than it is in Access. In Access, you can set up a Form/Report in minutes. In web development, that same functionality could take days to put together.

To answer your Query question directly: In PHP, running an SQL query is just as quick and easy as it is in Access (assuming you know SQL Syntax). The only thing that's hard is presenting those results properly on the web page. Especially if you want to be able to sort/filter the results, that kind of work would take several days to a week, depending on the skill of the programmer and if they've done it before. It would take me probably a total of 10-15 hours work to set up a single page like that.

If you're unhappy with the results, your best bet is to find someone else that'll do the job right and cut this guy loose. You may end up losing the time you've invested, but if your contract was put together properly, you should at least be able to get your money back.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.