Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    chazcoral2 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003

Lost data and access new tables

I made several changes to my database 2 weeks ago today, to queries forms and reports, and I added data. Tested it multiple times and saved it each time as I edited it over the span of 3 days. It was working perfectly. The company made some kind of change to the network or something last week, no idea what it was. Two days ago I tried to open the mdb and it would not open. I opened Access first and tried to open from there and got an error code that said that it was either already open or I did not have permission. Networking fixed it so that I could open it, but now I have no data past 3 months ago, and there are 10 new tables that I am unfamiliar with, all begin with Msys, and I cannot do anything with them besides opening them. I had networking restore the mdb from the back up 2 weeks ago but it has made no difference. Now any mdb that I open has those tables, but no data has been lost, except this one. If I open them from another station the tables are not there but my data and changes are still missing. I'm guessing this is a permissions issue that was caused when they made their changes, unfortunately no one has any idea what it is, can anyone help me?

burrina is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Well, unfortunately the msys tables don't tell you much about the history of things, so while it never hurts to know what is in these tables, it might not help your problem in corruption forensics.

The Msys tables hold a couple of useful things. Like

MsysObjects holds the name of EVERY collected object in the database. (By that I mean, if it exists in a collection, it appears in the msys table, pretty much. Fields, tables, document collections, etc.) Plus the properties of the database as a whole. Plus pointers to implied queries - such as the implied query sitting behind a combo box that gets its data lists from another table.

MsysACEs holds the Access Control Entries (protections) of every object.

MsysQueries holds the names of fields appearing in queries. Also the components of the WHERE clauses. Also JOIN info. (Only pre-defined queries, not dynamic ones.)

MsysRelationships holds the names and host tables for every field for which a relation has been declared, along with info about the nature of the relations. Like one-to-many, relational integrity, cascade delete, etc. In fact, the table holds the field names and host tables twice in different order, one record for each direction of the relationship. I.e. one record for the relationship as seen from the one side and a different record for the same relationship as seen from the many side.

MsysIMEXSpecs and MsysIMEXColumns hold stored import or export specifications, column by column and rule by rule, including skipped columns, delimiters, date formats, column formats, etc.

God alone (or maybe God and Pat Hartman, not necessarily in that order) knows what is in MsysAccessObjects. Mostly looks like huge binary objects that are totally incomprehensible when you open the table.
    Suspect corruption problems. The golden rule, backup,backup,backup! Dont those guys backup more than every 3 weeks? Sheesh!

Windows XP Access 2003
    Yes they back up every day. They found the back up for the days that I did the work, but when they restored them the changes were still not there. I think it has to do with new security controls that they put in place. I have a calendar in there that runs a query which I imported from internet. I think that is what is causing the problem. I tried deleting that but it didn't help.

burrina is offline VIP
    I don't really get the part about the security and missing data.Seems to me that they can allow or not allow viewing data but NOT make it disappear? Anyway, worse case scenario you have to start with the last working copy and go from there. What if anything can I do for you?

Windows XP Access 2003
    I was looking for somone that might be able to tell me how to fix it so that I can recover the lost data and changes that I made to the database fucntions. Whatever happened lost all data and function changes since November. When the restored the back up it didn't have any of that information. Thanks for trying to help.

burrina is offline VIP
    So, do you have a complete copy of the database to share?

Windows XP Access 2003
    Yes, but I don't see an option for attachments here.

burrina is offline VIP
    It is under Go Advanced. Be sure to compact,remove any private data and zip it in mdb format.

Windows XP Access 2003

data base

Imaging.zip Here it is, I hope you can figure somthing out.

burrina is offline VIP
    Okay, I have it, can you please what problems in detail you are having? What forms, fields, queries and so on! Please be specific in order to help me hep you.Remember, you are familiar with it, not me.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Data lost is simple; I had to delete most of the records in order to decrease the size enough to send it to you. However Anything that was added to the Imaging Log Tbl after 11-29-2012 was lost, after a network update here. I'm not concerned with recovering that data I have it in their live version that they use each day.
    The changes to the database is what Im concerned about, I spent 2 days on it and now they are all gone. I have since had great difficulty trying to duplicate what I did before. It's almost like the program deosn't understand the formulas anymore.
    I changed the individual's queries so that they had less information on them, eg Chris Moses, I removed Task detail, notes, hours and task and told it only to search for Set-Up Task and told it to calculate an avergage percentage between Pounds and Quantity. Then I changed the individual's reports to reflect the changes in the queries.

burrina is offline VIP

Running ChrisMoses Query and Report

So, your saying query Chris Moses wont work? I looked at it but there is NO form1! I removed this to see if the query would run, it did. There is NO Chris Moses in the table tbl Log tbl . I removed what you did and put in the criteria you did without Chris Moses, since he is not in the table at all and the query ran just fine? See attached pics!
    What am I not getting here? Please explain what else to look for. I compacted the database and copied all of the structure into a new database to test. So far, NO errors. Give me an example I can perform with details here so I can see what the problem is. Remember, you understand the database, I do NOT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ChrisMosesReport.jpg   ChrisMosesQuery.jpg  

Windows XP Access 2003
    The database as you have it is working fine, no errors.
    Chris is listed in the Team Member table, I just realized that I deleted any of her entrys so that would explain why there would be no record returned for you. Form1 a control that I have in Forms to enter a date after they push the combo butten for their report. So if you go to My Name and Date form and push the button with the frog picture it will ask for a date. After you enter the date it will show you the records for that date for Shirley King.
    The problem is that on the 6th and 7th of this month I made several changes to the queries and reports. I removed some of the search criteria and added a calculation to divide the sum of pounds by the sum of quantity and return a percentage.
    I had it working correctly. The company made changes to their security last week. After they did that I could not open the database at all. It returned an error that said it was open or I did not have permission to use it. I had networking department unlock it so that I could access it. After that I could open and use itand it worked. However any data entered after November was missing and all the function changes that I made were gone. That is also when the Msys tables appeared I had never seen them before that.
    I had them restore from the back up of the 8th, 7th and 6th. But it didn't help, the data and function changes were still missing.

burrina is offline VIP

Attached Query and Report

That is a sure sign of a corrupt database. Not knowing when the db got corrupt is a whole other story. I assume the db is split and hence the question which part got corrupt, the back end or front? If it is not, it should be! I will work on the criteria for your sum of pounds/sum of quantity if you like. You want this in the Shirley King Query right? By the way, I do not have any Msys in my copy!

Let me know if this works for you. Import these 2 into your copy and of course rename your original to something then rename the new with the original name and run to see if this is what you want or not.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by burrina; 02-26-2013 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Attached qry and rpt

Windows XP Access 2003
    I don't know anything about splitting. What is it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.