RoyLittle0 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Setting up a 2007 database to work on a SharePoint server

Hi,

I am new to this forum and new to SharePoint, I have done a couple of databases in 2010 but now I have to work in 2007 because that is what my company uses.

I am producing a Service Logging database in 2007, from what i have seen on the internet there are differences in between a standard desktop database and one that goes on a SharePoint site.

To start with I have only produced the Tables and I have used the Look-up Wizard to link all of my forms, so I am now using Lookups rather than relationships, are there any other anomalies that I need to be aware of before I get into it any further.

What differences are there between a SharePoint database and a desktop database?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I never built a web database but have worked with a number posted on forum.

Don't think web database can use VBA code.

Don't think Design View is available.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

RoyLittle0 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    My company has now opted to put the database on there server, we require a VPN to get access to it, I have split the database between the Back end and Front end but it is painfully slow, we have fibre optic at work and I have it at home as well, I can average around 40mb speeds, does anyone use a database in this way and how long does it take to open a form, it takes me around 20 to 60 seconds each time.

Is there a better way of doing this, we need it to be used in the office and for Techs on site all around the world.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Never tried VPN either. Have heard it can be slow and connectivity can be an issue, although I suppose that could be the case with any remote access method.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.