lugnutmonkey is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Automated import from different Excel files

I would like to automate the updating of my database. I recieve volume reports monthly and only require the previous months reports on a regular basis. I would like to be able to either link the monthly or import the monthly reports (they are Excel worksheets) into the Database while deleting the old information. Does anyone have any suggestions.

I have explored the saved import method however it does not work for me becasue I am not updating the old excel workshet, I am replacing it with a new one. I use the old work sheet as a sort of archive in the event that I ever need them.

Is there any way I could have a static worksheet automatically update with new information each month and then simply link to that static worksheet?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Don't quite understand what you want.

If you want to import data monthly from new Excel sheets into Access table, how does 'updating the old excel worksheet' pertain? If data is imported why is link to worksheet needed? Please clarify the process of data flow you need to accomplish.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I’m sorry forany confusion, I am slightly confused myself. The project I am working on willbe maintained by an administrative assistant with very little experience withAccess and full plate of other responsibilities. AS a result of this, I would like to keep the process of keeping the tables up to date as simple as possible. allow me to try and explain my predicament more clearly

I recieve two reports each month. Since I am only interested in the most recent reports, I would like to have the data within the reports available to my database. The way I see it, I have two options; either import the data through Access' Import tool or have a linked table with the most recent reports information in it.

When I have tried the import method I found that the saved import procedure only works on the worksheet you originaly imported. If I was simply updating the worksheet that the import porcedure works on then this method would work. I recieve individual reports for each month.

I was wondering if there is any way to make the saved import procedure work with a diffirent workbook. If you could just point me in the direction of the solution I would be grateful. If this is not possible I will just have to have the admin do the import manualy each month.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I googled: Access saved imports modify
    and got a lot of hits on this question, like:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...-specification
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thanks for the help

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.