Jetsoon is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Building a local Access DB vs. Web Hosting (via Sharepoint)

Hi Everyone,
    I'm a Newbie here and apologize in advance if this question has been asked before...

I am looking to build a basic Access DB (2010 version) for our company with a basic client table with related order, invoice, and revenue tables. My goal is to offer front facing data entry forms for other users (5 max) at our office where they can add/edit clients, orders etc. and hopefully run/export reports. My question specifically is what options do I have in to Access facilitate these front facing forms w/o requiring users to install and run Access as well (besides myself, the one building the DB)? I'm trying to make this as easy as possibile for the users and am hoping to have the forms web-based.

I was considering the Web-Based Access DB option and host it with MS Sharepoint/Access Services but am concerned with the limited options you get when you choose to build a web-based DB (versus the traditional DB option). If I build a traditional DB and host the DB file on our local server (my preferred option), can other users access just the data entry forms, reports I create w/o having to install Access on their computers? Do I need to host the forms somehow?

My apologizes again for the newbie question. Thanks for any help!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Explore Access Runtime http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=10910 Might have to create a user profile on Microsoft Windows Live to open that webpage. It demanded I login.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

A S MANN is offline Advanced System Analyst
    Windows XP Access 2007
    You can have few more options
    1: You can host Back end at your server and connect it to your user front ends ( may be 5- 10 users).
    Option a: Both front end and back end are at server side and load the both on client system through Domain or Terminal services share folders.
    Option b: back end are at server side and front end is at client side load the back end on client system through Domain or Terminal services or through share folders.
    2: Use Back end on SQL server and front end on Access front end is at client side Use LAN to connect them
    3:Use Back end on Share Point and front end on Access front end is at client side Use LAN to connect them
    That way you can use conventional DB of access having many feature which are absent on web based access.
    4: Place a common back end and many front end on cloud ( eg Dropbox drive ) Connect user through internet. thay will update drive data and many user can work at same time. Place a copy on your server Inernal LAN user can work without cloud.
    You can decide the best option as per need.

Jetsoon is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Thanks for the ideas here. I will start experimenting with these different options once I get the database further built.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.