Edward is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Problem making lables with more than one field per line

I previously used an older Access version under XP, but I switched to Windows 7 (64-bit) and Access V10. In general, most everything appears to work as expected, but I can't be sure because I have not gotten past the "previously simple" task of making a simple label !!!!

When I construct a LABEL layout, if I use ONLY one field per line, everything appears to work OK.
    When I put MORE than one field per line, the additional lines are "accepted", but when I click "finished" to preview the finished labels, I get an #error on every line that has more than one field, but the lines with only one field print out as expected.

If I then go into the DESIGN mode, each line with more than one field displays:

=Trim([field-x] & " " & [field-z]), where the " " is related to the space I place between field-x and field-z.

During this process I also get a box with the message "Enter Parameter Value", and below that is the text, "Trim", with a box in which to insert some kind of "parameter". I have absolutely no clew what to put into the "box", and no where in the 812 page, "The Missing Manual" is the question answered.

I have wasted approximately five hours trying to solve this issue, including google searches for potential answers, some of which seem reasonable, but do not work when implemented. At this point I am ready to trash ACCESS and move on to some other process.I am ------

Please HELP !!!,

Thanks,
    Ed Eckelmeyer, k1ee@earthlink.net

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Are you actually referencing Fields from your Form's RecordSource for data for your labels? Have you done a Compact and Repair yet? I would start by *importing* your db into a fresh new db and see if the problem follows. It only takes a minute.

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi -

I don't use A2010 yet, so if labels are not set up as reports as they are in A2003, then disregard what follows!

Check to make sure that the control names on your report are not the same as the field names they contain - I have found that reports do have problems in these cases. Also, unlike forms, reports cannot reference field names from the underlying record source of the report. You have to put all fields on the report, and hide them if you want to use them in expressions.

Another way to get around this is to fill in the data for the multi-field line in the On Format event of the detail section, instead of using the expression as the control source.

HTH

John

SteveH2508 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I would also check all of your VBA references for any 'missing' references - I have a vague memory of a similar thing happening to me in the past due to a missing reference. Also, make sure you are viewing your report in Print Preview - Report Preview does not run code and some expressions.

Edward is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

V.10 Access problem defined more clearly

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    I previously used an older Access version under XP, but I switched to Windows 7 (64-bit) and Access V10. In general, most everything appears to work as expected, but I can't be sure because I have not gotten past the "previously simple" task of making a simple label !!!!

When I construct a LABEL layout, if I use ONLY one field per line, everything appears to work OK.
    When I put MORE than one field per line, the additional lines are "accepted", but when I click "finished" to preview the finished labels, I get an #error on every line that has more than one field, but the lines with only one field print out as expected.

If I then go into the DESIGN mode, each line with more than one field displays:

=Trim([field-x] & " " & [field-z]), where the " " is related to the space I place between field-x and field-z.

During this process I also get a box with the message "Enter Parameter Value", and below that is the text, "Trim", with a box in which to insert some kind of "parameter". I have absolutely no clew what to put into the "box", and no where in the 812 page, "The Missing Manual" is the question answered.

I have wasted approximately five hours trying to solve this issue, including google searches for potential answers, some of which seem reasonable, but do not work when implemented. At this point I am ready to trash ACCESS and move on to some other process.I am ------

Please HELP !!!,

Thanks,
    Ed Eckelmeyer, k1ee@earthlink.net

Access V.10 Problem defined more clearly:

When running the Label Wizard, the heart of the operation is to place various
    Table fields on several rows to form the labels i.e

FirstName LastName
    Street
    City, State Zip

When selecting “See the labels as they will be printed” and then
    clicking “Finish”

A dialog box is displayed, i.e.: > Enter Parameter Values
    Trim
    [showing] “a box in which to enter data”
    OK Cancel

Click “OK”, without any parameters, and get a view of the completed label

the result is:
    #error
    25 AnyStreet
    #error

If I then select the “Design View” of the previous display

I get: =Trim([FirstName] & “ ” & [LastName])
    25 AnyStreet
    =Trim([City] & "," & " " & [state] & [Zip])

Obviously the =Trim ------- operation, and the “Enter Parameter Values”
    operation are related to the problem.

The key to my problem must be to insert the correct parameter value, but I
    can find absolutely no information as to what the parameters should be,
    and/or why they are necessary.

Questions:

Why is this applied automaticallplied by Access?
    Why is "Trim" used?
    What does it do?
    How do I determine the Trim parameters????

Please help. I need lables for Xmas card mailings !!!

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Did you already *import* your db into a fresh new db? http://www.btabdevelopment.com/ts/impnew

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.