netchie is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

Where is the Field Properties of Source Database in SQL?

Hi,

I was trying to prevent a field on table to create duplicates. I was going to change the Indexed for it to "Yes (No Duplicates)" but the table is linked to the source. I learned that the source is located in a server. I went there and it's totally different look! I went to Tables and saw the table name and open it. I clicked the row for the field and was looking for "Indexed" to add the "Yes (No Duplicates)" but it is not showing the Field Properties. It only shows a Columns tab. Please help!

Thanks,

netchie

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ID No - Need to updated Indexed to No Duplicates.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	10358

pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Modifying SQL Server tables should be done by a dba since this could impact any front-ends which have those tables linked (the linked tables typically need to be refreshed in all front-ends after modification). But if you're intent on modifying a table and creating a primary key (ie. Indexed - No duplicates) and you're prepared to refresh all the linked tables and fix any issues which happen from making a fairly major modification, you need to get into the design view of the table on SQL Server and after highlighting the field, you can click the button which looks like a "key" in the upper left in SQL Server Enterpise Manager (I think your snapshot cuts this button off on the top left side). You should also see all the properties of a field in a table right below the table design in SQL Server (similar to MSAccess). If you don't, then you may need to open SQL Server Enterprise Manager on the actual server where it resides or check your SQL Server permissions to make modifications to the table on SQL Server.

You should first though run some queries to see how many duplicates are on that field (ie. "Find Duplicates" query wizard in MSAccess) since you won't be able to change it until the duplicates are removed or you'll get errors when trying to change it.

Modifying SQL Server table designs should be done only by a SQL Server dba though since you may need to drop any relationships currently on that field and re-create them!

netchie is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007
    That sounds complicated

Thanks for your input. I'll try to follow your steps.

Thanks so much pkstormy!

netchie

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.