Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Huddle is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2010 64bit

Group Counting in a Report

Not sure how to accomplish what I am trying to do.

I've attached an example.

I have a group of inspectors who are assigned a group of buildings. I want to show a count of how many each inspector has. The end result should look like this:

Jones FSL 0: 0 FSL 1: 0 FSL 2: 1 FSL 3: 2 FSL 4: 2 Total: 5

Smith FSL 0: 0 FSL 1: 1 FSL 2: 2 FSL 3: 2 FSL 4: 1 Total: 6

White FSL 0: 1 FSL 1: 3 FSl 2: 0 FSL 3: 0 FSl 4: 0 Total: 4

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    What is the structure of the source dataset?

Could a crosstab query accomplish this?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Sorry I forgot to attach the example.
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is online now VIP
    You have Tbl_Building_Information primary key as text field with values 1 through 15. This data will not sort properly. 15 will sort before 2. Need place holder zeros, like: 01, 02, ... 15. Also Bldg_Number 10 does not have an FSL value. What is FSL?

Each building can have only one inspector associated with it? Why not have field in Bldg_Number for InspectorID instead of building number in Connector table?

Crosstab based on current data structure:
    TRANSFORM Count(Tbl_Bldg_Insp_Connector.Connecting_Bldg) AS CountOfConnecting_Bldg
    SELECT Tbl_Bldg_Insp_Connector.Connecting_Inspector, Count(Tbl_Bldg_Insp_Connector.Connecting_Bldg) AS [Total]
    FROM Tbl_Building_Information INNER JOIN Tbl_Bldg_Insp_Connector ON Tbl_Building_Information.Bldg_Number = Tbl_Bldg_Insp_Connector.Connecting_Bldg
    GROUP BY Tbl_Bldg_Insp_Connector.Connecting_Inspector
    PIVOT "FSL" & [FSL];
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

This is only and example of a much larger database so the connector table is necessary.

I had never done a crosstab query before but it looks like that's just what I need. Thanks so much.

Can you not do a parameter in a crosstab query?

Is there a way to total the columns as well so I can get an average?

So I'm trying to do what I need as a Union but it's telling me "Characters found after end of SQL statement". Can you help me out?

TRANSFORM Nz(Count(Tbl_Bldg_Insp_Connector.Connecting_Bldg), 0) AS CountOfConnecting_Bldg
    SELECT Lookup_Tbl_Commander_Inspector.Commander, Count(Tbl_Bldg_Insp_Connector.Connecting_Bldg) AS Total
    FROM Tbl_Building_Information INNER JOIN (Lookup_Tbl_Commander_Inspector INNER JOIN Tbl_Bldg_Insp_Connector ON Lookup_Tbl_Commander_Inspector.Inspector = Tbl_Bldg_Insp_Connector.Connecting_Inspector) ON Tbl_Building_Information.Bldg_Number = Tbl_Bldg_Insp_Connector.Connecting_Bldg
    WHERE (((Tbl_Building_Information.Status)="Active") AND ((Tbl_Building_Information.District)="D1"))
    GROUP BY Lookup_Tbl_Commander_Inspector.Commander, Tbl_Building_Information.Status, Tbl_Building_Information.District
    PIVOT "FSL" & [FSL];
    Union all;
    TRANSFORM Nz(Count(Tbl_Bldg_Insp_Connector.Connecting_Bldg), 0) AS CountOfConnecting_Bldg
    SELECT "FSL" & [FSL], Count(Tbl_Bldg_Insp_Connector.Connecting_Bldg) AS Total
    FROM Tbl_Building_Information INNER JOIN (Lookup_Tbl_Commander_Inspector INNER JOIN Tbl_Bldg_Insp_Connector ON Lookup_Tbl_Commander_Inspector.Inspector = Tbl_Bldg_Insp_Connector.Connecting_Inspector) ON Tbl_Building_Information.Bldg_Number = Tbl_Bldg_Insp_Connector.Connecting_Bldg
    WHERE (((Tbl_Building_Information.Status)="Active") AND ((Tbl_Building_Information.District)="D1"))
    GROUP BY Tbl_Building_Information.Status, Tbl_Building_Information.District, "FSL" & [FSL]
    PIVOT Lookup_Tbl_Commander_Inspector.Commander;

Figured out the error but it will never work because the rows and columns will never be the same number.

So I re-worked my example with everything I could figure out so far. Here are the issues I've come across.
    1. The sub reports are not grouping
    2. I don't know how to get the totals or averages needed for the report
    I'm sure there is a better way to do this but I wanted you to see what I'm ultimately wanting to accomplish so you could point me in the right direction.

June7 is online now VIP
    Why do some records in Tbl_Building_Information not have an FSL code? Do you need to include those in the report? How many possible FSL codes will there be?

Some have 0 FSL because they haven't been rated yet and we do need those in the report. There are only 5 possible ratings 0-4.

Figured out why the subreports were not grouping.. I needed to have them unbound rather then bind them with master /child fields.

June7 is online now VIP
    None of the records have an FSL code of 0. Some records have no code at all.

So the issue is solved?

I'm still working on getting the averages. I'm probably doing this the hard way but what I've come up with is taking two crosstab queries and doing a union. The union looks good. When I try to do the formula in the report I'm getting errors.

If I try to change the control source in the Text4 box to =Sum([InspCt]) it gives the error. With Count([InspCt]) is counting the number of records per commander rather than the InspCt field.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.