Falafa is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Sequential Numbering in a Form

In Access2010, how do I set instructions (macro) in the data entry form to incrementally fill in the next number of my Member ID number field? The number used contains three letters followed by six numbers.

The data entry form collects typical information, i.e. last name, first name, address, phone, email, etc. It's control source is my tblMain which holds all the information.

I know nothing in terms of SQL statements, VB, writing macros. I don't know what to do with the macro builder. Can someone work with me to "build" the correct macro?

Let me know if there is more I need to explain that will help.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Review https://www.accessforums.net/forms/a...ing-23329.html

Is the alpha prefix always the same characters? You could just use an autonumber field and then format the value to display as the desired structure. However, if you cannot allow gaps in sequence, autonumber might not be appropriate.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Falafa is offline Novice
    I follow that, but after reading it I realize I didn't give full information. The ID number begins with three letters which will never change, followed by six numbers which will hopefully automatically increase as each new record is entered in the data entry form. Example: FWA000001, FWA000002, etc. Can I write a formula somewhere in the property sheet of the "Member ID" field on the data entry form which will incrementally enter that next number? If so, where do I put it and what would I write? Make sense?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I provided an example of VBA function from my project. I call the function when user clicks 'add record' button. The record is created and form opened to the new record. Alternatively, the ID number can be constructed when user clicks 'save record' button. If you have no or limited VBA knowledge, this might be difficult for you.

The easiest approach is an autonumber field.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Code:
    dim smaxID as string
    dim sNextMemberID as string

smaxID = dmax("[memberid]", "membertable")
    snextmemberID = "FWA" & right("000000" & clng(right([smaxid],6)) + 1, 6)
    you'd have to then populate your member ID field before you saved it or moved to a different record.

Falafa is offline Novice
    rpeare - I see your code and it sorta makes sense to me. Now, where do I put that code? Somewhere in the property sheet of the form design? The name of the main table that holds all the information is called tblMain, so is that what I'd use where you have written "membertable"? So what I'd put in would look like:
    dim smaxID as string
    dim sNextMemberID as string

smaxID = dmax ("(MemberID)", "tblMain")
    sNextMemberID = "FWA" & right ("000000" & cling(right((smaxID), 6)) +1, 6)

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Where ever you are doing your record validation. If you are using an unbound form you'd use it on your 'save record' button, if you're using a bound form you'd have to fill in the field that has your member ID before you navigate away from the record. I don't know anything about your database I'm just giving you a method to calculate the 'next' member ID would be.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.