GeekInOhio is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

VBA Optimization - Forms in Object Variables

All,

I'm always looking for ways to sharpen the saw when it comes to programming. I recently came across a tutorial that has a section on optimizing VBA, and specifically recommends the following:

If you refer to an object more than once in a section of code, assign it to an object variable. Every time you reference an object, Access has to perform some work to figure out which object you are referring to. This adds overhead to your code each time the object is referenced. But if you assign the object to an object variable, Access "finds" the object once and caches the reference in memory. So after the first reference, you can refer to the object through the object variable and your code will run faster.
    Source: http://etutorials.org/Microsoft+Prod...rate+VBA+Code/

Makes sense to me.

I have a sub that updates around 250 labels on an unbound form via a loop through a returned SQL recordset. (Basically, updating 6 labels per day on a 42 day calendar.) Currently the code explicitly states the path to each label control, like this:

Code:
    Forms!frmCalendarRecord_UserMonth.txtKeyDate = myTable.Fields.Item(1)
    Based on what I read, I thought I could speed it up a bit by first declaring the Form as an object, and then just updating the controls from there.
    I got as far as setting my form as an object, then I got stuck.

Code:
        Dim myProject As Object
        Dim myForm As AccessObject

Set myProject = Application.CurrentProject
        Set myForm = myProject.AllForms("frmCalendarRecord_UserMonth")
    It appears that I can access the properties of the form itself, but not the controls on it. Am I barking up a nonexistent tree, misunderstanding what I read, or just approaching it wrong?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    What happened - error message, wrong results, nothing?

Try using the Controls collection. I haven't tried setting a form/report as an object (maybe I should) but I do set variables to form/report name and dynamically refer to form/report controls. Examples from my db:
    If Not IsNull(Forms(strForm).Controls("tbxLabNum")) Then
    FinenessModulus = Format(( _
    IIf([Form_DataSoilsAgg1].Controls(S & "OneHalf") > 0, 100 - [Form_DataSoilsAgg1].Controls(S & "OneHalf"), 0) _
    + IIf(Nz([Form_DataSoilsAgg1].Controls(S & "ThreeFourth"), 0) > 0, 100 - [Form_DataSoilsAgg1].Controls(S & "ThreeFourth"), 0) _
    + IIf(Nz([Form_DataSoilsAgg1].Controls(S & "ThreeEighth"), 0) > 0, 100 - [Form_DataSoilsAgg1].Controls(S & "ThreeEighth"), 0) _
    + IIf(Nz([Form_DataSoilsAgg1].Controls(S & "No4"), 0) > 0, 100 - [Form_DataSoilsAgg1].Controls(S & "No4"), 0) _
    + IIf(Nz([Form_DataSoilsAgg1].Controls(S & "No8"), 0) > 0, 100 - [Form_DataSoilsAgg1].Controls(S & "No8"), 0) _
    + IIf(Nz([Form_DataSoilsAgg1].Controls(S & "No16"), 0) > 0, 100 - [Form_DataSoilsAgg1].Controls(S & "No16"), 0) _
    + IIf(Nz([Form_DataSoilsAgg1].Controls(S & "No30"), 0) > 0, 100 - [Form_DataSoilsAgg1].Controls(S & "No30"), 0) _
    + IIf(Nz([Form_DataSoilsAgg1].Controls(S & "No50"), 0) > 0, 100 - [Form_DataSoilsAgg1].Controls(S & "No50"), 0) _
    + IIf(Nz([Form_DataSoilsAgg1].Controls(S & "No100"), 0) > 0, 100 - [Form_DataSoilsAgg1].Controls(S & "No100"), 0)) _
    / 100, "0.0")
    If CurrentProject.AllForms("Sample").IsLoaded Then
    Form_Sample.Controls("cbx" & Me.cbxField).Requery
    End If
    I often use the Me qualifier:
    With Me.
    .cbxFor1.Enabled = False
    .cbxFor1.TabStop = False
    .cbxField2.Enabled = False
    End With
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.