lkp12 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

VBA code in front-end database not working on client computer

Hi,

I have a MS Access database application split into a front-end/back-end database. The functionality all works fine on my computer but when my client tests it various pieces of functionality don't work. This is VERY frustrating and quite difficult to troubleshoot as I'm not sure what it is that's different between the client's and my pc that is causing the code to break.

Issue #1) The button on-click event: "DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputQuery, "Talent Data", acFormatXLSX, , True" works great on my computer my when my client runs this screen from her laptop, all of the memo fields convert to something that looks like chinese characters when it is exported to Excel.

Issue #2) I have a report that has a text box with a control source set to "IIf([l2p1] Is Null,"",[L2P1] & Chr(13) & Chr(10) & [l2p1jobtitle])" which in essence lists a persons name, forces a new line and then displays their job title on the next line of the text box. If that field is null, it won't display anything. This works Great in my version but of course, on my client's computer, the text box displays as "#Name?".

I'm not positive that this is the same issue - but it sort of seems that there is a missing library or something on my client's pc. I know that it is missing the DTS.dll (Microsoft DTS runtime 1.0) file... but when I take that reference out of my copy of access, all of my functionality still works - so I don't think that's it.

Help!!?

-

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    1. Try TransferSpreadsheet instead of OutputTo

2. Don't know, should work. Why not just use two textboxes?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

lkp12 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks for the reply. I have tried the "TransferSpreadsheet" option.. and maybe my syntax or something is just wrong - but I have a lot of problems with the files being locked and it won't overwrite. (So if the client does this export several times a day - it asks if you want to overwirte, and if you say yes, it comes back with a message that the file is open - even when it's not... so I gave up on that whole direction).

I thought about doing 2 different text boxes... and actually... maybe I still could. The report is supposed to look like an Org Chart (you can ask me more about that if you want - because that is QUITE the process) but.. I was trying to make it as aesthetically pleasing as possible. I supposed I could do 2 text boxes with the second text box having no borders to fit right underneath the name. I'll give it a go..

Thanks for reading!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Mysterious! Your report as is should work. Did the client try on other computers?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

lkp12 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    So, I went ahead your suggestion, June7, and just used two text boxes for my org chart (the second text box has no borders) and it works on all computers once I take the cell formula out - and actually looks better that way anyway.

The Excel garboly-gook is still unresolved. I'm going to have the client try on other computers and send me the back-end database (wondering if it's a corruption issue with the data itself? but looks fine while in the database).???

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.