Kivan is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Error after filtering . ( Could not find field <name>. (Error 3799) )

Hi,

I have a weird problem and I have no idea how to solve it as I've already wasted my whole day. I have few tables and a form (datasheet) which takes data from all of them them using query. The error occurs when I'm trying to delete filter from some fields. So for example I'm applying a filter to field number 1 (everything is ok). Now I'm trying to delete this filter and DANG this error appears.
    "Could not find field <name>. (Error 3799)"

I have a strong feeling that I'm doing something wrong with a source query of the form, but I can't found out what is it. I've attached a small sample of this database (sorry for its language). Repair/Compile/decompile/import/export nothing have worked so far. I really hope you could help me with this issue as I'm really getting depressed.

Thank you for your time.

Attached Files Attached Files

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Filters are applied to Recordsets to determine which Records will be displayed in Forms, Reports, etc., but not to individual Fields.

What exactly do you mean by
    Quote Originally Posted by Kivan View Post

...I'm applying a filter to field number 1 (everything is ok). Now I'm trying to delete this filter...
    Also, what is the actual name of field number 1?

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    The form has criteria in the Filter property that doesn't make sense to me: (Lookup_Teaser.NazwaStanu In ("Niewykonane") Or Lookup_Teaser.NazwaStanu Is Null)

The form opens in Datasheet view. How are you applying filter on the open form - with the dropdown filter at top of each field? Then what do you mean by 'delete this filter' - how do you attempt this? You could click the Filter/Unfiltered button on the navigation bar at bottom of the form.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

tanvi is offline Competent Performer
    This error message "Could not find field <name>. (Error 3799)" occurred as Microsoft suggested: "A column name that does not exist is being referenced."

Kivan is offline Novice
    Thanks guys for replies. June7 it seems like access saved last used filter and you mentioned important thing which I didn't notice before. Ok let's make it a picture store.
    Firstly I open a form in datasheet view. Then I'm trying to apply filter on column "IDOsoba" by simply clicking on arrow. And it looks like in TT1.png.
    Then a strange filter appears (TT2.png).
    Now I'm trying to click on the field arrow again and I got this error (TT3.png). It means "Finding field "IDOsoba" was impossible". And in field file I find "Could not find field <name>. (Error 3799).
    Same thing happens after applying filter in other columns like IDprojekt.

One more important thing. This form takes data from query. Query takes data from two tables: tblOsoby and tblMetrykaProjektu. I need both of them, tblOsoby contains data with people names, emails etc.. And If I delete the table tblOsoby from query, the error is gone. However this way I have to make every field which takes data from tblOsoby as combobox (with ID and data), and I dont want to do that this way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TT1.png   TT2.png   TT3.png  

June7 is offline VIP
    Ahhh! The perils of lookups! If you want to search on last name then include Nazwisko field in the query and use it. Set the control as locked so the value can't be changed.

Otherwise, first remove filter by clicking the button on form navigation bar or on the ribbon.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Kivan is offline Novice
    Thank you for your reply June7.
    Ok I can do it this way. But the real issue is with fields "Teaser", "Dokumenty", "Spotkanie", "Umowa". As those fields take data from same table (tblMetrykaStany), and of course same error appears for them. I have no idea how to deal with it. In addition those fields have to be editable (not locked).

In short what I'm trying to do. I have tables with: investors, inverstors types, projects, companies, project metrics.

Things I need to see on the form:
    From Investors: name, mail, phone number, investor type (this one comes from the table "investors types"), company name (this one comes from the table "companies")
    From Projects: Project name
    Project metrics is main table which holds ID from projects and ID from Investors. And it is main table for form query.
    From Project metrics: "Teaser", "Documents", "Meeting", "agreement"

The general idea is to provide DB user full view of what have been done in a project with particular investors. This is the way records should look:

Project XYZ|| <--- (Must be locked, generaly user cant touch it)
    John Doe || JD@hotmail.com || 667 888 767 || Individual investor || Company he work for || Teaser sent || Documents sent || Meeting to be done || Agreement not signed||
    Ann Aloe || AA@hotmail.com || 111 222 333 || Corporate || Company he work for || Teaser sent || Documents to be send || Meeting not yet || Agreement not signed||

Iam really fed up of this bug. I want to move on and finish this DB but this issue stops me.

June7 is offline VIP
    It's the same issue, all are using lookups.

Review http://datapigtechnologies.com/flash...tomfilter.html

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post

Ahhh! The perils of lookups!
    You really, really, really need to read this:

The Evils of Lookup Fields in Tables

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

June7 is offline VIP
    Linq, assume you are just reiteriating my sentiment and directing OP to review the article because I am already aware of issues with lookups and avoid them as much as possible.

Regardless if the lookup is set in table or not, if the combobox RowSource involves lookup, issue will be the same.

Kivan is offline Novice
    Thank you guys, I will take a look at those things, especailly this video looks interesting. I will write feedback there on monday.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post

...Linq, assume you are just reiteriating my sentiment...
    Just so, June7! Was simply supporting your comment! A lot of times I think it helps if the OP sees that an opinion given is held by more than one responder!

Linq ;0)>

June7 is offline VIP
    Agreed, appreciate affirmation.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.