ThatSkepTicGuy is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Architects Room Data Sheets

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has had experience producing architects room data sheets in access. I have had experience producing them in excel but my access knowledge i quite old (7 years since i took a course) and very limited.

I want to produce a physical report with a page for each indvidual room within a building which is populated with information that could be common accross all rooms but still allow for unique attributes within each room.

I have attached a sample of the kind of thing im looking to produce.

Sorry if im being quite general but i dont want to start confusing myself or other.

Any personal experience or tutorials anyone can point to would be great.

Thanks

RDS-COMPLETE_REVB.pdf

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Probably possible but doesn't look easy. I can see that will need at least 1 subreport (the Mechanical and Electrical section or maybe that is 3 subreports for HVAC, UTILITIES, ELECTRICAL).

First thing to do is design data structure. Review: http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-access-help-18/

Actually, first thing is to decide if this is worth your effort.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ThatSkepTicGuy is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Unfortunately its something my boss has been recommended by someone so its being pushed onto us. I take it that your opinion is that it wouldn't be worth the effort?

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I'm still confusing myself. To me in its simplest form i am looking for a database with:

- A form to create, input and edit the data for each room, basically the finished room data sheet with titled boxes to fill in e.g. unique fields like room number/name and drop down menus for yes/no data e.g. hot water - no, cold water - yes.

- A table to store the data input via the form

- A report to display the information formatted as the previously attached PDF.

The database is currently only required to produce the one single report for issuing out to the client, consultants and contractors.

Am I just hoping for too much for it to be that simple?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I am not saying it isn't worth doing, just asking if it's worth your company resources. If you do want to maintain data, then yes a relational database is the way to go. If you just want to fill in a form, print, and not care about retaining data, then just stay with spreadsheet.

It does sound like you want to manage data so build a database. The first thing is to design the data structure. Identify the entities of your data and how they relate. Set up tables then start building queries, forms, reports. Here is another source with tutorials http://www.developerbarn.com/communi...oft-access.24/. If the links I referenced aren't an adequate primer, then get an introductory book on Access that explains relational database concepts and has tutorials.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.