GregFarrell is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Seeking a database to track medications/health services at non-profit youth facility

I am working on a volunteer project to improve the process used administer and track medications prescribed to youths at a local non-profit agency. There are 100+ patient/residents living various group homes spread over a large urban campus. Meds are prescribed by a doctor, ordered and tracked by a team of nurses and administered by residential staff. They currently use a very labor intensive/hard copy process to manage and document the process. They are badly in need of a modern relational database to streamline their process. They need to account for each pill from the time it is received from a pharmacy until it is given to a patient. They have a detailed "signoff system" to docuement/verify each time a pill is given. Many psychotropic controlled substances are administered. There are a lot of monthly reports required by various regulatory agencies.

I have some previous experience desigining and implementing MS Access databases but I am by no means an expert. I have good idea (see below) how to structure the database but I would rather not start from scratch if there is an existing Access database out there could be modifided to fit our needs. Below is a list of tables that I found in another thread (My thanks to"recyan") in this forum. It is pretty close (but not everthing) to what I envision needing.

tblPatients - Master Table of Patients
    PatientID - PK

tblConditions - Master Table of standardized List of Conditions
    ConditionID - PK

tblMedications - Master Table of standardized List of Medications
    MedicationID - PK

tblDoctors - Master Table of Doctors
    DoctorID - PK

tblPatientsConditions
    PatientsConditionsID - PK
    Patient_ID - FK

Condition_ID - FK

tblPatientsConditionsTreatment
    PatientsConditionsTreatmentID - PK
    TreatmentDateTime
    PatientsConditions_ID - FK
    Medication_ID - FK
    MedicationDosage
    NextCheckUpDate
    Doctor_ID - FK

If anyone has or knows of a such a database that I could copy and modify, please let me know.

Thanks

Greg

Alex Motilal is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007
    This forum is for clearing doubts and for rectification of mistakes by experts. Developers spend lot of time and do lot of hard work to design and develop and expect payment. Since you have basic knowledge, I suggest you start developing. To clear doubts you can approach this forum.
    Wishing you good luck,
    Alex

Windows XP Access 2007
    Alex,
    Thanks for your opinion. If you have a suggestion for a better place to ask my question, please let me know. This is a non profit agency with very scarce resources and essentially no IT budget. If they had the funds they would have developed a solution long ago. Actually, I may be able to convince them to provide funding it if I can develop a positive "business case" (considering it is not a business) with a high probability of success.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Greg,
    This is the place to ask "Here is my problem. This is my proposed structure. How does it look? How can it be better?"

In the table tblPatientsConditionsTreatment, I might move the field "NextCheckUpDate" to its own table.
    You also might get some ideas by checking out http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_models/index.htm
    Look at the models under number 130.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Steve,
    Thanks for your reply. I did not see a # 130 in the Database Answers website. I did find several other medical/medication examples that were helpful. I will finalize my current Access database design and post it for comments.

Greg

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    It is in the center column... scroll down to MEDICAL. Under "Medical" there are 32 examples.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.