conjoa is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Electronic ledger database design

Hi,

I am in the process of creating a database for a Society at my University. The database will be used as an electronic ledger which the treasurer shall be able to create records, and then each representative from a particular section e.g. charity and sport can select their section and see how much money has been spent and on what. In addition to this each person will be able to see in which stage their claim is i.e. claim form processed, cheque written, cheque collected and once cashed cheque cashed.

I have not used access for a while so am a bit rusty, well towards very rusty.

I have written down what I would like and have a vague idea about the relationships between tables but wanted to run it through you guys to see if what I am doing s right or if it will go horrifically wrong.

So what will happen:
    An expense claim form is handed to treasurer he enters a record (through a form) which links the expense to the person claiming it and to the section which the person belongs. From this reports can be generated etc.

First issue is that expense claim forms contain different expenses, e.g. the sports representative will claim back for a football pitch and a tennis pitch and new netball, but will be paid by the same cheque. So each cheque has to be linked to multiple expenses.

What I have planned table and relationship design wise is: an Expense and Cheque table which links the Expense ID and Cheque ID from two other tables one being Expense and the other Cheque. These will have one-to-many relationships (many being in the Expense + Cheque table). The Expense Table will have a field for WHO is claiming, and WHAT they are claiming. The WHAT will be linked to another table which will have a list of claims, e.g. the different pitches. The WHO is linked to a table which is called People + Section which is subsequently linked to two other tables one being People and the other Sections. The People + Sections is a one-to-many relationship with the two other tables, People and Sections. Then the People + Section is a one-to-one relationship with the WHO field in the Expense table.

Will this work or have I gone horribly wrong somewhere

Once this is all done I shall create user logins for each person which will pull up reports etc for their sections and individual account.

Regards

Conjoa

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Sounds okay but accounting db can be tricky. Do you want it to follow double-entry principles?

Might consider using off-the-shelf accounting software, like Quickbooks. I used it years ago and it is very easy to use. The cost would be less than the time involved in creating a custom db. I am sure there are other programs just as good, that is just the one I am familiar with. However, I don't think it was a multi-user design.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.