Heatshiver is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Question VPN offline Access data sync?

The company I work for is likely going to have a site-to-site VPN setup for their Access database. The problem as I see it is that some employees will not have Internet access and will have to work with a copy of the database while offline.

What is the easiest way to get this offline copy of the database to sync with the one on the VPN? Keep in mind employees will have their own User ID so their data will always be different from anyone else's.

I was thinking of devising a method with VBA for Import/ExportText or XML and having it done that way, as I only need to add data to the tables. Would an update query somehow help?

Thanks for any and all help!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I was faced with a similar issue (synchronizing field copies of db with the office 'master'). However, no remote data link was involved. The field copy is e-mailed to the office and procedure executed by the supervisor to import records. I tried to find third-party software to facilitate the process but had no luck and wrote my own VBA. I encountered problems with autonumber primary/foreign keys and had to redesign db to eliminate. Since process involved only a one-time import of new records at the end of construction season, the procedure was fairly simple.

I have read about using VPN to connect to network for data input but apparently the link can be unreliable, dropping connection in the middle of data submittal.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Heatshiver is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    I may have to go your route, however, there could be multiple "offline" employees; and they may have to do imports as quickly as every day. I guess that may just land me a more secured job!

What do you think of Citrix and their services as far as VPN goes? I was thinking even MS Direct Access may be a way to go.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I don't know anything about Citrix and haven't used VPN and don't know MS Direct Access.

Cross post http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...nc-532593.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.