dr4ke is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Automate Query Creation

Hi, I currently have a list of 159 servers which we will call 'Server' and then their respective number (E.g. Server1, Server2, Server3 --> Server159). On the same table I have the software that is installed on the server (e.g. below). What I would like to do is split these servers, and their software packages, into different queries (so i'd essentially have 159 queries); however I, for obvious reasons, don't want to manually create that many queries. Is there a way to automate the creation of these queries, based on the 'Server Name' column?

Server Name Software Name
    Server1 Software1
    Server1 Software2
    Server2 Software1
    Server2 Software2
    Server2 Software3

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Generally you'd have 1 parameter query, not 159 fixed queries. I'd create a form for the user to enter the desired server, and have your query get its criteria from there.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

That is one of the things I considered however was really hoping to do certain calculations on them individually to then report on them (E.G. First & Last queries), which would mean that I'd have to run the parameter query 159 times, which if I were to do this every month ... would be a huge amout of time.

Windows XP Access 2007
    I'm not clear on why you'd have to run it 159 times, but it would be relatively simple to have code loop through and do that. Maybe if you clarified your needs we could suggest a better solution.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

It would be useful if you could help me develop such a code, as i would be able to use this across a few of my databases which are currently in production. If you'd be willing to help me with that i'd be really greatful?

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Others are here and will offer help, as Paul has, but you'll have to tell us what exactly you are tryiing to d so we can all understand.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Develop what code? Looping code is fairly simple:

http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/email/recordsetloop.htm
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

I've tried to explain as best I can...

I currently have two peices of code:

Code:
     SELECT First(HighLevelCapacity.Used) AS StartDateUsed, Last(HighLevelCapacity.Used) AS EndDateUsed, First(HighLevelCapacity.Total) AS StartDateTotal, Last(HighLevelCapacity.Total) AS EndDateTotal, StartDateTotal-StartDateUsed AS StartDateFree, EndDateTotal-EndDateUsed AS EndDateFree, (StartDateUsed/StartDateTotal)*100 AS StartDatePercentage, (EndDateUsed/EndDateTotal)*100 AS EndDatePercentage, StartDateUsed-EndDateUsed AS UsedDiff, StartDateTotal-EndDateTotal AS TotalDiff, EndDateFree-StartDateFree AS FreeDiff, StartDatePercentage-EndDatePercentage AS PercentageDiff, First(HighLevelCapacity.Date) AS StartDate, Last(HighLevelCapacity.Date) AS EndDate
    FROM HighLevelCapacity
    WHERE (((HighLevelCapacity.SANName)="Server1") AND ((HighLevelCapacity.AggregateName)="Aggregate1")) AND ((HighLevelCapacity.Date) Between (Forms!ReportDataRangeSelect!SelectStart) And (Forms!ReportDataRangeSelect!SelectEnd));
    Code:
     SELECT TOP 1 HighLevelCapacity.SANName, HighLevelCapacity.AggregateName, Int(Round(([Query1].StartDateUsed)/1024^2,1)) AS FirstUsedGB, Int(Round(([Query1].EndDateUsed)/1024^2,1)) AS LastUsedGB, Int(Round(([Query1].StartDateTotal)/1024^2,1)) AS FirstTotalGB, Int(Round(([Query1].EndDateTotal)/1024^2,1)) AS LastTotalGB, Int(Round(([Query1].StartDateFree)/1024^2,1)) AS FirstFreeGB, Int(Round(([Query1].EndDateFree)/1024^2,1)) AS LastFreeGB, Int(Round([Query1].StartDatePercentage,1)) AS FirstPercentage, Int(Round([Query1].EndDatePercentage,1)) AS LastPercentage, FirstUsedGB-LastUsedGB AS UsedDiff, FirstTotalGB-LastTotalGB AS TotalDiff, FirstFreeGB-LastFreeGB AS FreeDiff, FirstPercentage-LastPercentage AS PercentageDiff, DateDiff("d",(Forms![ReportDataRangeSelect]![SelectStart]),(Forms![ReportDataRangeSelect]![SelectEnd])) AS DateDiff, Int(Round((UsedDiff)/(DateDiff),1)) AS DailyIncreaseGB, IIf([DailyIncreaseGB]=0,'No Change',IIf([DailyIncreaseGB]>0,'Decrease',INT(Round(LastFreeGB/IIf(DailyIncreaseGB=0,'Null',DailyIncreaseGB),1)))) AS TimeLeft
    FROM Query1, HighLevelCapacity
    WHERE (((HighLevelCapacity.SANName)="Server1") AND ((HighLevelCapacity.AggregateName)="Aggregate1"));
    Now the code is written, I just need to replicate it for the relevant servers. So the code will stay exactly the same, and only the text in Red will change (depending on what server/aggregate combination it is, and what the name of the first query is saved as). The combinations will be...

Server1 - Aggregate1
    Server1 - Aggregate2
    Server1 - Aggregate3
    Server1 - Aggregate4
    Server2 - Aggregate1
    Server2 - Aggregate2

And so on and so forth.... For each combination, it will need the above two queries; and obviously the query1 name in the code will have to be changed every time. Doing this for 4 servers, actually only means about 30 queries, so isn't that time constrainting, but I soon have to do it with a further 45 different combinations. So if I can learn how to do it on this, i'm hoping to be able to adapt it to that afterwards.

Hope that explains things a little better?

Pbaldy - apologies, the link doesnt make much sense to me.

Thanks
    Last edited by dr4ke; 07-11-2012 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Code amended to show more Red text

I've just amended the second code as below. I removed all the '[Query1].' parameters, so that only the WHERE and FROM clauses need to be amended. I'm aware that I'd need to make sure that the columns in the Table and the queries do not have the same headings, as this could cause confusion in the below...

Code:
     SELECT TOP 1 HighLevelCapacity.SANName, HighLevelCapacity.AggregateName, Int(Round((StartDateUsed)/1024^2,1)) AS FirstUsedGB, Int(Round((EndDateUsed)/1024^2,1)) AS LastUsedGB, Int(Round((StartDateTotal)/1024^2,1)) AS FirstTotalGB, Int(Round((EndDateTotal)/1024^2,1)) AS LastTotalGB, Int(Round((StartDateFree)/1024^2,1)) AS FirstFreeGB, Int(Round((EndDateFree)/1024^2,1)) AS LastFreeGB, Int(Round(StartDatePercentage,1)) AS FirstPercentage, Int(Round(EndDatePercentage,1)) AS LastPercentage, FirstUsedGB-LastUsedGB AS UsedDiff, FirstTotalGB-LastTotalGB AS TotalDiff, FirstFreeGB-LastFreeGB AS FreeDiff, FirstPercentage-LastPercentage AS PercentageDiff, DateDiff("d",(Forms![ReportDataRangeSelect]![SelectStart]),(Forms![ReportDataRangeSelect]![SelectEnd])) AS DateDiff, Int(Round((UsedDiff)/(DateDiff),1)) AS DailyIncreaseGB, IIf([DailyIncreaseGB]=0,'No Change',IIf([DailyIncreaseGB]>0,'Decrease',INT(Round(LastFreeGB/IIf(DailyIncreaseGB=0,'Null',DailyIncreaseGB),1)))) AS TimeLeft
    FROM Query1, HighLevelCapacity
    WHERE (((HighLevelCapacity.SANName)="Server1") AND ((HighLevelCapacity.AggregateName)="Aggregate1"));

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.