shariq1989 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

Maintenance Database

I am trying to put together a database for the maintenance tracking and planning of components on various vessels. I am having issues coming up with a schema that works and a good way to track maintenance intervals. Here is the low down: Vessels have many components that will be tracked like propellers, shafts and engines. Many of these components will have sub-components like pistons (engines), shaft seals (shafts), etc. Each component will have a service interval and an overhaul interval which is not based on time but on operating hours. Engine component intervals depend upon the running hours of that respective engine and other components depend upon the operating hours of the vessel. The database will be sending out emails when the overhaul/service intervals are close to being due. I'm also gonna need a reset function of some sort to reset the count for a certain component if it was replaced before the interval was coming up. For example, if the bearings were to be serviced in 500 hours but they broke down and had to be replaced prematurely, the would now be needing service in 35000 hours since they are serviced every 35000 hours. I also would like the database to track the running hours of each component. This means not having the hours count of each component going to zero hours at each overhaul, but the overhaul hours adjusting accordingly. For example, pistons are serviced at 17500 hours and then overhauled at 35000 hours. Now the next service should automatically be at 35000+17500 and the next overhaul should be at 35000*2 hours. So there would be a planning part of it, where the database forecasts upcoming maintenance and an executing part of it, where the engineer can enter in what maintenances have been completed. The engineer will update operating hours for all engines and vessels at the end of each month. This seems like it could be very complex or very simple at the same time and I just don't know how to go about it.

This is the schema I have right now:

TblVessels
    VslID (1), VslName (Wanderer), VslTypeID (1)

TblVslTypes
    VslTypeID, VslType (Barge)

TblEngines
    EngineID, ManufacturerID, EngineModelNumber, VesselID, LocationID, EngineTypeID

TblManufacturers
    ManufacturerID, ManufacturerName

TblLocations
    LocationID, LocationName (Starboard)

TblEngineTypes
    EngineTypeID, EngineTypeName (Aux)

TblEngineComponents
    EngineComponentID, EngineID, EngineComponentName, Service Interval, Overhaul Interval

TblVesselComponents
    VslCompID, VslCompName, VesselID, Service Interval, Overhaul Interval

TblCompletedMaintenance
    OverhaulID, ComponentID, DateOverhauled

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    The table schema seems easy enough. It is the queries and calcs for maintenance cycles that looks complicated.

You might consider commercially developed software. Contact developer and describe your needs. Maybe something already exists that will do the job.

This one has a 30-day free trial http://www.mtcpro.com/fleetmtc.htm

Here are some for aviation components maintenance that might help with your design http://www.capterra.com/aviation-maintenance-software
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.