RadBrad is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Scenario help

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and to Access, but not to computers. That being said, I need some understanding of Access so I can do some things at work. I am pretty sure that Access is capable of the simple things I need to do, but it has been slow going trying to build what I want when I am not sure how Access works. Here is what I want to do and I'd like to hear how people go about accomplishing it.

I have an inventory of consumables that we use to fabricate custom products - rivets, grinding disks, welding wire, etc. I buy these from different vendors in different UOM (but that's not important right now). Our purchaser will submit lists of products to the different vendors every 3 months and update the pricing. I will be pricing everything as "each".

Each job we get is assigned a different job number and those jobs may have several tasks... sometimes the job will last for weeks and the tasks are given by sheet numbers. As each sheet is completed, the consumables need to be costed out.

What I would like to have would be an interface for our inventory guy where he can assign items from inventory to a job and sheet number and have it deduct the amount from the inventory. Also, a way to add new product into inventory. I imagine if I've get this far, setting up a re-order alarm isn't that far behind.

I would like a simple way for our purchaser to either enter or import a list from the vendors that update the prices.

The same product may be needed more than once for the same sheet... and probably many times for the same job number. At any given time, I'd like to know what total consumables were used on a job number and/or each sheet.

I am mostly a computer hobbyist and I'm pretty good with Excel, which I think is kind of a problem. I think too much in a flat database and not in a relational frame of mind. I know that this is right up Access's alley. This Access project is just a pet project for me that I am hoping will give me a good understanding of Access and my employer something functional.

All help is ALWAYS appreciated!

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Would you believe Inventory Control is one of the more complex applications to develop. I hope this link gets you started.

Windows XP Access 2007
    I can believe it as my task at work right now is to understand a real Inventory control program and that is turning into quite an undertaking.

I guess my problem isn't so much the task as it is how Access does things. I've read a lot of books, watched tutorials, and browsed a lot of forums and I still can't take it beyond the "You have a CD collection and you want to keep track of the songs" level.

I will keep going for real in Excel and hopefully it will grow into something will fit into Access.

And thanks for the link! That will surely help!

Windows XP Access 2007
    That's a very interesting link!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.