Ricardo is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Database for test progress tracking

I'm very new to Access. I would like to create a database that allows users to track testing progress. This means there will be a table of tests - each with a specification like low < result < high, result > low, result > high (could also be <= and >=) described in fields for each test table record. The user should be able to enter the result in another field and have the database determine whether the result meets the spec and have pass or fail recorded in another table.

Is this something that can be done without writing VBA code or can I accomplish this with just the standard Access GUI functions?

Thanks

Robeen is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    This means there will be a table of tests - each with a specification like low < result < high, result > low, result > high (could also be <= and >=) described in fields for each test table record
    I didn't understand the part in red. Could you explain that to me please?
    I think you might be able to do what you need without VBA code. You might need to consider using a query or two.
    How you set up your Tables in Access will determine how you can get what you need.
    Access really makes it easy to do many regular database-type activities - so you only need to think about VBA when your requirements get complex.

Ricardo is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Robeen View Post
    I didn't understand the part in red. Could you explain that to me please?
    I think you might be able to do what you need without VBA code. You might need to consider using a query or two.
    How you set up your Tables in Access will determine how you can get what you need.
    Access really makes it easy to do many regular database-type activities - so you only need to think about VBA when your requirements get complex.
    I meant that tests will have different specification criteria to determine pass or fail.

One test may require that the result be bounded by a maximum and minimum (minimum value < result < maximum value), another may have just a minimum value (minimum < result), and another may only have a maximum bound (result < maximum value). These bounds may be inclusive or exclusive (i.e. greater than or equal to vs greater than).

My initial idea is to create a table with fields like this:
    Test Name Minimum Maximum Inclusive? Result

I don't know if this is the best design or not though.

Robeen is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I think you should start out -> make your table and enter some test data -> and then create a query on the data in the table.In the query -> in design mode -> you can put your criteria [specification criteria] in the 'Criteria' row of the query design window.When you get to that point, let us know how it looks.Don't enter too much data - just enough to see if this approach is going to work for you.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.