shish is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

I want to learn database programming

Hello, I want to learn database Programming. But where and how to start?

The type of database application I want to develop is something that can run super shops, saloons, movie rental services and office management programs.

Actually, I found MS access can do maximum of what I want, but the bad part is I don't like its interface and it doesn't look unique( you have to open ms access all the time to enter into database).

My application will allow user to enter data from different computers in LAN and update automatically. Its report might contain pictures as well as graphs. There would be print option too.

Database part is totally new to me, previously I've just worked on algorithms in C++ and doing programming contests(Like ACM, IOI). Is mixing VB with access a good choice? If so, it would be better for me as I can work on access a little bit.

What other languages those mix with access?

Please suggest me a total guideline from start to be capable of making such kind of application.And kindly suggest me an easy process which can be learnt quickly by me. It would be nice if you can mention the learning resources too.

Why quickly? As I want to keep myself on algorithms and do a part time job in a database company or form myself a little one to support my tuition fees.

Thanks in advance.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Start with the 'sticky' thread tutorials at http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-access-help-18/

One of them discusses converting Access db to a runtime version, end user would not need Access program to run the app. I have seen Access apps that don't look like they are Access file.

Review http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...010341717.aspx

Get books. You might find this one of interest: Access™ 2007 Programming by Example with VBA, XML, and ASP by Julitta Korol, Wordware Publishing, Inc.

Take class.

There are many template databases available to learn with and modify.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

shish is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks for your valuable reply.
    Will I be able to print memo's like super shop through this?
    How much data can be processed by access. Is there any limit?
    Would you kindly mention the source of those database templates ?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Access has reporting output functionality. I don't know what super shop is.

Access has a file size limit of 2gb.

Database templates are all over the the web, including Microsoft website. Google: Access database Northwind. It has been used in numerous tutorials.

Open Access to create a new database and some templates are presented for selection.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.