survivo01 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

record order in table ( I think)

I have a form that enters the records. When I enter a record and save it. I need to go back to the record so I can edit a subform that is linked to the record. I have a macro that instructs to go to last record but it does not go there. I have tried to format Action Date as General (06/13/12 10:24:30) but the record shows (06/13/12). Also, the records are not in the order I entered them when I sort by action date.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    How are you populating the action date? Basically, you shouldn't care about the order of records in the table. It's just a bucket you dump data into. You give it order when you draw info out. I never let users into tables or queries, only forms and reports.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

At first I had a now() for default value both table and form. Now I am just entering the date. If I have a macro that says open form go to the last record is it going to the last record in the table or is calling the form the last record.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Now() will enter the date and time; if you're just entering the date, that sounds like why you only have the date now. Are you always going to want to go the last record (define last if so), or any record? I might add a combo to the form using the wizard and choosing the third option, "Find a record...". That would let you find any record.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Thank you I am not sure what worked. The Now() put the time back in. I did fin something on the Macro. I use to have yes and I changed it to prompt. Anyway it doing what is supposed to do now.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Happy to help.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Hello you helped me once with the order of my records in forms. All of sudden the macro I was using quit working correctly and I have no idea why. I have a table called enroll. This table has ID, Class Name, Class Type, Enroll type, and action date. I have created a form to enter the infor into the table. I have a subform attached that is linked to the form but the subform will not link until the the main form is saved. Once the form or record is saved I need to go back to the form and edit the subform. What would you suggest to go back to the proper form. PS ID & classtype are Key fields.

Updated information on above problem. pbaldy suggested use combo box to find record. However, the form I am using has Id ClassNmae ClassType Enroll type action date. It also has two subforms. One subform shows the students class schedule. The other subform shows who has not taken that particular class.
    When I use Macro, Close window, open form, and go to last record. It takes me to another record sometimes 3 or 4 previous records instead of last record.

Then I used a Combo box the 3rd option go to record. That takes me to all the records with the same ID but that still leaves me 15 records to sort through instead of the last record.

Next I have tried DoCMD, ,Last. It takes me to the last record. But the record has been saved but both of my subforms have not updated.

What happens if I close My main form manually the two subforms update. However this does not happen with the combo box or the event. They do update with Macro but does not take me to the record I just completed (last record)

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.