JavaBeans is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

General Access form flow question from a newbie..

When i say newbie... it's newbie as in Monday (4-16-12) is the first time I've opened the Access application. 11 Years in I/T, just never used Access before, I am impressed though, very slick db application.

Anyway, just wanted some clarification on something. My I/T manager installed SharePoint and created an access database using Microsoft's ' Assets Web Database' template, then handed the project off to me... lol. So I've imported the data from Excel that we needed into 'Assets' Table in the db and published the database to SharePoint. All is working well for the most part - I have another question pending in this forum, and I'll probably have more as I need to add some functionality to the db and have no VB experience whatsoever.

I don't understand why the form 'Main' which has two tabs that we use goes through so many dependencies to pull data from the table 'Assets'. Its like, on the form 'Main' on the 'Recon' tab it pulls data from the form 'AssetsCurrent' , the form 'AssetsCurrent' pulls data from the form 'AssetsDS' then the form 'AssetsDS' pull data from the query 'AssetsOpen' and assets open queries the table 'Assets'.
    Is this because of the template we used or is it just the way that access pulls data from the table?

Main form Recon Tab -> AssetsCurrent form -> AssetsDS form -> AssetsOpen (Query)

Main form Recorded Tab -> AssetsRetired -> AssetsRetiredDS -> AssetsRetired (Query)
    '

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    It's the design. Forms are able to be bound directly to tables. What do you mean by 'dependencies'? Are these filter criteria?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I suppose it it filter criteria that is built into the Microsoft Template that was used. I just didnt understand why on my MAIN form, it pulled data from the form currentAssets then currentAssets pulls data from assetsDS then assetsDS gets its data from the assetsOpen query. I see this when I am in design view and right click on the form choose properties and look at the field Navigation Target Name.

So, working with this database in the future, when I add new forms to it or tabs to my MAIN form, I can have these forms pull data directly from a query or the database depending on my needs.

June7 is offline VIP
    Not sure what you mean by 'Navigation Target Name'. I would have to view the project to advise more, if you still need resolution.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I think I'm good as far as the topic of this post goes. As of now I'm trying to figure out how to add more functionality to DB.

1. On the form 'Main' I need a way to show how many records are on each tab, I have two tabs as of now. I would like to have a box at the top that tells this info. E.g.. "There are currently 38 records in the working state"

2. At this point my two tabs are Working and Finished. To mark a record as finished, a user ticks a check box in the finished column and this moves it to the Finished tab. I would like to have a popup to confirm this action.

3. I also need to add another tab, Rescinded. This would work the same as the 'Finished' check box, the user ticks it and it moves it to the rescinded tab.

4. And I have a few kinks to work out, when we scroll to the bottom of the page it bounces back to the top of the page - it's like the browser isn't pre-loading the page. And I would like to have the webpage auto refresh once a user ticks a check box to change the record status.

June7 is offline VIP
    Would need to know more about data structure. Are you actually moving records between tables Working and Finished and want a third Rescinded? Not something I would do. If it is actually one table and simply changing a status field value and the tabs have filtered subforms, then Requery the subforms to reflect the changes.

Here's a copy of my DB if you would like to check it out. Basically what is happening is the two columns Reconveyed and Recorded are looking to the queries, AssetsOpen and AssetsCurrent, respectively
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is offline VIP
    Just hit me from your initial post you said this is a web database. I can't really analyse this db because can't open anything in design view. I haven't worked with Sharepoint. If you wanted to import everything into a normal database then I can analyse.

I think I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to do and how I'm going to do it. I really appreciate your help. Having someone to bounce idea's off of has been a great help, this is all starting to make sense.

I'm redesigning everything now, if I hit a point that I need some advice I'll import into a normal DB and give you a shout. Also, I found a good site that has a great tutorial for Access 2010 - http://www.gcflearnfree.org/access2010

Thanks again!

-Brad

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.