Jester0001 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

VBA Format Append Leading Zeros

I have a subform with a text field that I am trying to append leading zeros.

Table = [tblSampleLogIn]
    Table = [tblMycoData]
    Form = [frmSampleLogIn01]
    Form = [subMycoData] ; Field = [SampleID] Text

Here is my code so far:

Code:
    Private Sub SampleID_AfterUpdate()
    Dim srtSampleID As String

Set srtSampleID = Forms![frmSampleLogIn01]![subMycoData].Form![SampleID].Value

Forms!frmSampleLogIn01!subMycoData!SampleID.Value = Format(Forms!frmSampleLogIn01!subMycoData!SampleID.Value, "000000")
    End Sub
    The text values will be less than 6 characters in length. I can get the immediate window to return the value in the field by entering the following into the immediate window:
    Code:
    Forms![frmSampleLogIn01]![subMycoData].Form![SampleID].Value
    But then, nothing else happens when the code runs.

Ultimately, I need to have leading zeros in front of the values to sort the text values. The reason is because sometimes a numerical character is unknown, and will be substituted with a "?". Having leading zeros will help to properly sort the text values.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    SampleID control event is on the main form and trying to set value of subform? Form/subform master/child linking should handle saving value to subform record. SampleID on main form is not Autonumber?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    Format only affects the way data is displayed.

If you want to change the text data to have 6 characters, you might think about concatenating 6 zeros to the value , then taking the right 6 using the Right() function.

Code:
    Forms!frmSampleLogIn01!subMycoData!SampleID = Right( "000000" & Forms!frmSampleLogIn01!subMycoData!SampleID, 6)
    FYI, you don't need to add ".Value"..... it is the default property. (and saves on typing )

June7 is online now VIP
    ssanfu,

It is correct that Format only affects display of value in a SELECT query or textbox ControlSource but when used in an equation to set a text value, the leading zeros will be retained. The expression can be in VBA code as shown or in an UPDATE action.
    Last edited by June7; 03-27-2012 at 06:31 PM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    Thanks June. I didn't know this. I've always used the concatenate and Right() function; I'll have to remember this and try it.

I haven't tried the code yet, but was just wondering:
    Might it be better for me to store the data in the table AS IS, and then create a query to concatenate the leading zeros when it comes time to sort?

Just tried ssanfu's code, and it works! Thank you!

Code:
    Forms!frmSampleLogIn01!subMycoData!SampleID = Right( "000000" & Forms!frmSampleLogIn01!subMycoData!SampleID, 6)
    I am still wondering though, could the same thing be achieved with a query?

Answered my own question: Yes, the same thing can be achieved using a query. And, I believe that I will use the query to concatenate the leading zeros, as opposed to having VBA add the leading zeros. Thank you so much!

June7 is online now VIP
    The expression can be in query or textbox ControlSource or in VBA. Calculate whenever needed or run UPDATE action to actually modify the value in table.

raytackettsells is offline Novice
    Hey there, I searched all throughout the forums and this was the only one. I was wondering what would be the format in a query in the field which would calculate and place leading zeros in front making the field a specific number of bytes (i.e. whether the number is 4 or 6 digits, it would lead and keep it 7 bytes...

So if it's 1234 and 56789 the number should be converted to 0001234 and 0056789. Just a question and was looking. That would be awesome and thanks ahead of time for any questions you help me with.

June7 is online now VIP
    Use as many zeros in the expression as you want. Try it.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.