Rubz is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Question Form Filter

Hi All

I have a problem that has been driving me mad that I hope someone can help with.

I have a basic form based on a table. In the form I have an unbound combo box that displays a list of activities (taken from a list in a table). When you select an activity and then click on a button it filters the records for all of those about that activity (there are two filter buttons, one for activities that haven't been done and one for those that have which is a simple yes/no tick box in the record). The buttons run a basic macro to ApplyFilter.

This all works fine. The problem comes when you then change the activity showing in the unbound combo box and try to filter for a new activity instead (even when you have clearer the previous filter). Clicking on either button to ApplyFilter applies the filter referencing the first activity that was selected and filtered on rather than the one currently selected. The only way I've found to get round this is to close and reopen the form, but I don't want to have to keep on telling the rest of my team that this is what they need to do.

Any thoughts on this very much appreciated.

Thanks

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    What method applies filter? How do you 'clear' the filter?

Need to see code. Post it or the project for analysis.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Rubz is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    The filter is applied with the standard ApplyFilter macro. The condition for this is:

([Red Book]![Done]=Yes) And ([Red Book]![Activity]=[Forms]![Red Book]![ActivityFilter])

Where:
    - [Red Book]![Done] is the check box for each record showing whether the activity has been done
    - [Red Book]![Activity] is the name of the activity in each record (selected from a list in a combo box)
    - [Forms]![Red Book]![ActivityFilter] is the unbound combo box on the form that is used to show what activity you want to filter for (from the same list as above). This is the value that once you have filtered for one activity then remains the same (as far as the filter is concerned) whatever value you then put in this combo box.

The code to run this macro is:

Private Sub Command39_Click()
    On Error GoTo Err_Command39_Click
    Dim stDocName As String
    stDocName = "Done Filter"
    DoCmd.RunMacro stDocName
    Exit_Command39_Click:
    Exit Sub
    Err_Command39_Click:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Exit_Command39_Click

End Sub

The 'clear filter' is the standard ShowAllRecords macro.

Let me know if you need any more information on any of this.

Thanks

June7 is online now VIP
    Crud! I don't use macros, only VBA. I can often figure them out but have to work with project if you want to provide it.

Instead of ([Red Book]![Done]=Yes) can try ([Red Book]![Done]=-1)
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Rubz is offline Novice
    I tried changing 'Yes' to '-1' but it still works exactly the same. I don't think it should be anything to do with the [Red Book]![Done] part though, it's the [Forms]![Red Book]![ActivityFilter] part that the macro doesn't recognise the updated value for.

This was written as a database rather than a project, and I'm not sure how to convert it to a project to post for you I'm afraid.

Rubz is offline Novice
    From reading around it appears that this is a bug in Access 2007 and no one seems to have found an easy way of solving it. I've now got round it by changing the clear filter button so that it closes and reopens the form and adding a note for users to remind them that they need to click on the clear filter button between different filters. Not ideal but it will hopefully serve a purpose for now.

Thanks for your thoughts on this June7.

June7 is online now VIP
    By 'project' I just mean the Access file. It can be attached to post, zip if large.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.