raytackettsells is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

End if issue

Hey there,

I'm a noob and here is my issue. I'm importing from excel, the fields either say TRUE OR FALSE once entered, Access for some reason converts to 0 and -1, I just want the 0 to say N and if it says anything other in both of these fields shown below to enter a Y...Here is the code I am trying. Also, I only know how to enter the code to run on a form and didn't know if I could have it run it after the table is imported rather than go through each record. Thanks to everyone for any help!

Private Sub Form_Load()
    If Me.Leak_Found = 0 Then Me.Leak_Found = "N"

Else
    Me.Leak_Found = "Y"
    End If
    If Me.Atmospheric_Corrosion_Found = 0 Then Me.Atmospheric_Corrosion_Found = "N"
    Else
    Me.Atmospheric_Corrosion_Found = "Y"
    End If
    End Sub

R_Badger is offline Knows a few tricks
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi,

A little background, TRUE and FALSE are boolean, like binary on and off, in a database this is wasteful of characters so it records it as 0 (False) and -1 (True).

The table you are trying to change the data on (by using the vb on a form in this case) most has its fields all set to true/false.

You have a few options available:
    1. don't change the data! (my personal option)v
    Sounds crazy, however; you have the data there already, you just don't like what you see, so setup controls on your form, for instance.
    txt_Leak_found and txt_Atmospheric_corrosion refer to fields on your form.

txt_Leak_found Controlsource: =iif([leak_found]=true,"Y","N")

txt_Atmospheric_corrosion Controlsource: =iif([Atmospheric_corrosion]=true,"Y","N")

If you have trouble, I'll create an example to demonstrate.

The other options I'll reserve for now to prevent a wall of text.

You are awesome! I figured it out before I saw this so I'm proud of myself that I wasn't doing it half assed...it just changed the name of the table fields and I had to adjust that but now I am faced with another problem. Thank you so much for taking the time you did. Seriously, it's nice to have a place where people like yourself who arent required but take time for people like me...Anyway, now I have a date in excel that shows 3/26/2012 and when I export to a text file I want it to show 03262012...If you know how to do that, I will mail you a thank you card to programming heaven!

A little background, the text file needs to have a required number of (spacing or bytes) and the date needs 8 bytes but because of the lacking ZERO and two HASH marks it is throwing off the entire text file. I can hopefully enter that expression into the query as I did the expression above. Thanks again!

Actually got that one too in Access to reflect as formatting as MMDDYYYY but it still shows original format when i export to the text file as 3/26/2012..

R_Badger is offline Knows a few tricks
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Im not expert on excel but the best thing to do in access is to create a query containing your date, then put in a calculation

Fixed_date: =format([date_field_name_here],"mmddyyyy")

then when you export that *should* come out as you are after!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.