djclntn is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Joining 2-Tables in a query

It's my understanding that data can be pulled from more then one table into a query. Say I track baseball daily game results (win, lost, home or away wins, points for & against, etc) all data that can vary. Now within this table when I input every team's home & away game I also need to include the Teams "League" & "Division" which remains the same per team for tracking varies standing queries, ect. So I set up a seperate Table with the Teams (30-Teams) league & division. In a query I joined my Results Table with my Teams Table where by when I enter in a team into a field the accossiate league & divison appears within the query, great! However here's the problem, all of the other fields from the Results Table -- in the query ('W' 'L 'HW' RW' 'PF' 'PA' etc) cannot be edited or no data can be inputted within that query. Suppose I have a field which contains a LeageWin & a DivisionalWin -- everytime a team wins in its League a "1" goes into the 'LeagueWin feild. Likewis with the divison a "1" goes into the 'DivisionWin' field. But, I can do this only in the Results Table which has the teams & the Divison Wins fields, but not the 'League' & the Divisional fields. So if I don't recall every teams divisional I'm prone for big time errors.

Admitting being an amature (or below?) at Access to me it's a win/lose kind of thing. Meaning, you discover one way to cut down your work/make things easier, but then if affects other parts of your database which only tends to create more work, problems, & FRUSTRATIONS!!! But, I will not give up until everyone stops answering me here which I can't see happening.

As always, any help would greatly be apprechiated!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Yes, tables can be joined in query but the result will not always be editable. Would need to know more about your data structure. Want to provide project for analysis?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

June,

I'm holding off from sending you this project query until we get to some resolution with the Dealership--Zip Code project. I don't want to overwhelm you, although I may have already :-)

June7 is offline VIP
    If you want to continue with this then provide the project and will review.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Yea, you were right... sorry

Sorry, here's the dbs

Focus on the 'Reg Season Query' I joined the Reg Season results with the Teamstable to join the 'Team' witth the 'Conf' & 'Div' from the Teams Table, however now I can make any changes to the query (or Form). It's great how I have it set up whereby when I enter in a 'Team' I don't need to enter in it's 'Conf' &''Div', however thre downside is that i cannot enter in any other date
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is offline VIP
    First issue I see is that Teams table has the autonumber field as primary key but you are saving the team abreviation in the Reg Season table. I think we have discussed this before in regards to your other project. If you are going to save the ABRV field value, this needs to be the primary key. Should not be saving all that team info in Reg Season table, only the key. After fixing the primary key I had no problem editing the query.

Perfect! Thanks a bunch, June!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.