Soule is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows Vista Access 2007

New Version of Invisible Controls In Form View/DE "No" Prop Issue

Yet again, buggy, frustrating, confounding Microsoft has managed to make a horrifyingly simple task inspire me to throw my PC out the window and shortly follow it. Consider this new gem:

I'm not getting existing table records showing up in Form View.

a) There's records in the table.
    b) The form's Record Source currently contains one-to-one textbox controls from one table. The only control not sourced to that table is not currently sourced to ANYTHING.
    c) The Form "Data Entry" property is set to "No"; the "Recordset Type" is "Dynaset (Inconsistent Updates)"...for flexibility; the "Allow Additions" property is set to "Yes".
    d) The Form Detail "Visible" property is set to "Yes".

Given those, why in the world would I not be seeing the 14 records in the source table, especially with the "Data Entry" property set to "No"?!

Confounding Mr. Gates. Confounding.

Mucho thanks ahead of time for advice on this normally/supposedly easy, yet persistent fix.

Frank
    Windows XP, Access 2007, .accdb file

Robeen is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    What do you see when you open the Property Sheet for the Form, click the 'Data' tab, and then look in 'Record Source'?

Can you post a copy of your db here? You can remove sensitive data before posting your db here.

The form's Record Source is a SELECT/FROM/INNER JOIN/ON SQL statement. De-sensitized, it's:

SELECT [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].ID, [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].[First Name], [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].[Known As], [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].MI, [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].[Last Name], [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].Title, [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].[A1S1 Date], [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].[A1S1 Date Outcome], [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].[New or Txfr or Rehire], [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].[If Transfer, from Where?], [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].[External E-Mail], [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].[Movie Code], [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].[Start Date], [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].[Corporate Orientation Date], [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].[Work E-Mail], [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].[A1S1 Date Second Try], [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].[A1S1 Second Try Outcome], [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].[A1S1 Date Third Try], [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].[A1S1 Third Try Outcome], [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].Recruiter, [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].[HRBP 1], [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].[HRBP 2], [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].[Manager 1], [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].[Manager 1 E-mail], [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].[M1 Outlook Invite Sent], [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].[Manager 2], [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].[Manager 2 E-mail], [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].[M2 Outlook Invite Sent], [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].Notes, [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].[Extra Control 1], [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].[Extra Control 2], [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].[Extra Control 3], [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].[HR EOD Contact Name], [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].[HR EOD Work Phone #], [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].[HR EOD Contact E-Mail] FROM ([Unused Movie Code Table] INNER JOIN [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table] ON [Unused Movie Code Table].[Movie Code] = [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table].[Movie Code]) INNER JOIN [Used Movie Code Table] ON [Unused Movie Code Table].[Movie Code] = [Used Movie Code Table].[Movie Code];

RayMilhon is offline VIP
    slightly confused here. In the original post you state that the controls are linked to a table yet the forms record source is a query. Check the query make sure it's returning the 14 records you're expecting.

Robeen is offline VIP
    I agree with Ray. Copy that SQL into a new query and see if you get any results.

Unless there's a reason for that SQL in your post being the record source for the Form, you can always just change the record souce to the name of your Table.
    However, once you do that and save - you will lose the SQL - so make sure you figure out why the SQL is the record source for the Form before you make changes.

a) You guys just taught me that SELECT/FROM/INNERJOIN/ON SQL statements in a Record Source mean the source is a query. Thank you.

b) I have no idea why the Record Source of my form is a query. Though, I did notice that when I clicked on the builder thing in the property {(...)} to look at the source, it went into query builder mode and not expression builder mode - even creatinga tab title with "[my form name] Query Builder" in it.

c) I'm going to change the Record Source to the name of my table, but if I source the two unbound controls to a different table(s), will anything unexpected (Microsoft tm) happen?

Thanks so much for the help -
    Last edited by Soule; 01-06-2012 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Clarity

Robeen is offline VIP
    Your query is only returning fields from [A1S1 Onboarding Tracking Table] - but it is using the two other tables to limit what rows of data show on your form [with the current data in those three tables - it would appear from what you said that the query is not returning any rows of data].

If you inherited the database from someone else, you might consider making a copy of the Form and then making your changes to the copy to see if everything is good.

Then you can have the existing Form as a backup in case you ever realize that you need to go back to it.

All the best!

Record source of form is query and I can appreciate that now.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.