DCarrot is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2010 64bit

Question Is MS Access license required if a .mdb file is created but never opened MSAccess?

If Java code programmatically creates a .mdb file, programmatically populates it, then programmatically emails the db WITHOUT the db ever having being opened in Access, does this require an Access license?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Required by whom - the sender or the receiver? From what I've read, Java can't build mdb file but can use existing Access file. Receiver doesn't need Access to work with the file, other apps can connect to the Access tables.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Without revealing too much off the clients proceedure ...

A Supplier dictates that all orders are sent as .mdb files and provides a base file to my client.

The software in question, used by my client, uses this base file to create an order populating it with the required items.
    The .mdb file is then emailed to the supplier.
    As stated earlier this is all done by the Java program without the Access application being opened.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Required by whom - the sender or the receiver?
    Obviously it is up to the Supplier to ensure he has whatever license he requires for whatever he does with the .mdb file - this does not concern me.

My question is, is a MS Access license required by the piece of software which programmatically populates and emails the .mdb file without ever having opened the file using the MS Access application.

June7 is online now VIP
    No Access license required for any app to connect to Access tables.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Many Thanks for the prompt reply.

Is this the official MS line?
    Do you know of any documentation to support this?

June7 is online now VIP
    It is a logical conclusion. I can't find anything 'official'. Access tables are used by developers as data storage component of an application. The front end can be developed in any programming application (Access, Visual Basic, Java, etc) that can connect to Access tables. Developer then offers package for purchase. As an example, we have a program called MicroPAVER that uses Access tables for data management. I don't know what the executable frontend was programmed in. I could run MicroPAVER without having Access but because I have Access and the backend Access file is not protected I can open it and interact directly with the tables.

Even an Access db can be converted to an executable and distributed to users who don't have Access.

Many thanks

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.