Nobby2193 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

update query from a query ?

I am rubbish at access but seem to be pushed into it on many occassions as I am able to turn a computer on.

How would I update the contents of one record in a table to another record in the same table. Before you rush a reply and say an update query ( if thats what you were going to say ), please read on

I have a table that has 2 pieces of information that I need to merge. The problem is eg (client id number 1, report number 1) has information in it and (client id number one report number 2) would like to have that informatiion. I have set up querys for [Master report] which filters report 1 and another [master update] which filters report 2. I have tried to run an update query on [master report] to influence [master update] but it does not seem to work, at best it warns me its going to update but does nothing. Im now guessing that I cannot update 1 query from another. disregarding queries as Im not sure im on the right track anyway, how would you guys do this ?. Im running access 2010 office

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Would you be able to give an example of what the expected results would look like. I am not able to visualize what you are saying. Perhaps some sample data of what is in each table. What you want the end result to look like. It would help to analyze the issue and give you some responses.

Thanks for your prompt reply. Please find attached a stripped down db which I hope helps

[FrmInvoice]and [FrmInvoiceSub_Landlord report Sub]
    this is for a plumber, he can do many visits to the same client during the year and needs to
    produce an invoice on each occasion. However, He needs to do a Landlord gas safety
    inspection report once a year only, normally the items he inspects stay the same for a few
    years and its just a few test results that change, so i need the report to be able to grab
    info from last year and update the form for this year, he can then note the minor
    adjustments
    [QrylandlordReportMaster] and [QrylandlordUpdate] filter wether this is the "Master" he
    wishes to set down as the default or the update in order to update the report for this year
    [RptLandlordReport] shows the form that needs to be completed each year ( it is produced,
    converted to pdf, emailed and then can be overwritten if need be ( ive stripped away
    confidential details thats why fields are missing
    [Tbllandlord_Report] really, all i need it [landlordreportid] no 1 to update [landlordreportid] no 2
    Attached Files Attached Files

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Unable to open and read your file. To ensure that you get maximum help, you should save your file as a 2003 version and repost it. There are many folks on this forum who have great skills but have not as yet upgraded their versions.

Hi Thanks for your reply. Part of what I would like to do with the db is achieved using calculated fields in a table which of copurse is not available in pre 2010 access. ( yes, I know the rules about storing calculations in fields) but for this DB it seems to work well ( at least that part of it does).
    Thanks anyway for your prompt replies but I should withdraw the question as I really want to use 2010

Thanks anyway

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.