Fish218 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

Field values in datasheet not updating on first record entry

I have a split form with text boxes and combo boxes in the header that provide values for the datasheet . Some of these fields have assigned default values, some do not. The fields that do not have assigned default values don't populate the datasheet on the first entry, but do on each additional entry. I'm not sure what's going on, I do not have any event procedures on these controls. Any advice would be appreciated.

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi -

By "split form" - do you mean form and subform? I assume the answer is yes, because a form cannot have a header in datasheet view.

That said - how do you get the data from your text and combo boxes from the header to the subform fields that do not have assigned default values? Is the subform a data entry form?

John

Windows XP Access 2007
    No it is a split form (which is a way to get a header in datasheet view), but after spending time working on the split form I came to the realization that you can't use a split form as a subdatasheet. So now I am building a subform with text boxes in the header that are the control sources for fields in details. I fixed the issue of things not populating with after update event procedures.

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi -

Oops - My Bad! Split form is new to A2007 - I only have A2003, so I wasn't aware of it.

Sorry!!

Windows XP Access 2007
    Do you know if I can use two subforms based on the same table?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Yes, but why would you need to? Not a good idea to allow editing in both.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    I am building a form that has numerous tabs. Each tab is for a different person we enter data on. All tabs will be based on the same table. It's easiest to use the tabs because I can set default values for each person without the data enterer having to do it and limits confusion. Rather than 2 subforms based on the same table, I'm going to try putting text boxes in each tab then use the subdatasheet as a subform with the text boxes providing values for the fields that don't change often in the subdatasheet.

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    That form doesn't sound very workable - how many people do you enter data on? You will end up having to redo the form every time you get another person in the database, and the number of people you have have will be very limited. Or am I missing something?

Could you not select the person from a combo box?

John

Windows XP Access 2007
    We enter data on 25 people, but there is not much turnover in those 25. Most people will be on the list until they pass away. Some folks have been on the list now for over 30 years. A combo box would be easier, but the tab feature brings it to the lowest level of confusion because you can see everyones name at once - very little opportunity for data to end up w. Folks entering this data may have little to no database/spreadsheet experience and there is minimal time for training.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Frankly, I don't think does much toward reducing the chance for entering data to wrong name. What the multiple subforms does make easier is the default value set up. So try a couple of tabs for a test. If it works and you like it, go for the rest.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.