Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

New Forum Design

Like the new forum appearance and some new tools in post editor, at least I don't remember the Tables toolbar.

Encountered couple issues so far.

Searches I did in the previous design no longer work. I will have to do some organizing of subscribed threads.

I can no longer set threads I posted to as Solved or Unsolved. I assume this is now available only to the OP. Wait, I don't even see that option under Thread Tools for this thread.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    I keep losing access to Quick Links and have to go all the way back to Forum to get it to show on my screen again.

June7 is offline VIP
    Oh yeh, that one too.

I usually hold down shift key with click and open new window.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Matrix is online now Admin
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003
    Wow, finally, some feedback...

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Like the new forum appearance and some new tools in post editor, at least I don't remember the Tables toolbar.
    Glad you like it. The new editor is much more powerful, the auto-save is my favorite...no more frustrating post loss.

Encountered couple issues so far.
    This is a major upgrade, many things work differently.

Searches I did in the previous design no longer work. I will have to do some organizing of subscribed threads.
    Search in the new version is poor. What kind of searches do you need exactly? Maybe we can come up something.

I can no longer set threads I posted to as Solved or Unsolved. I assume this is now available only to the OP. Wait, I don't even see that option under Thread Tools for this thread.
    This is on my post-upgrade to-do list. I'm slow catching up with the new system.

Quote Originally Posted by aytee111 View Post
    I keep losing access to Quick Links and have to go all the way back to Forum to get it to show on my screen again.
    I find it inconvenient as well, 'Quick Links' should be available on every page. This was requested when vbulltin 4 just came out two years ago, amazingly they haven't added it yet. Which links in 'Quick Links' do you use often? Maybe I can add them somewhere else.

June7 is offline VIP
    I did notice the autosave, don't think I have seen that on any other forum. Not sure how it benefits. If my internet connection drops and I try to save post, do I just reestablish connection and click 'back' or 'refresh' on my browser and my text will still be in the post editor?

I use Subscribed and Unanswered quick links mostly.

I used to do a search on 'Gantt' keyword and 'June7' username and it pulled up 3 threads I posted in. I have now created a special folder to hold my frequently referenced threads.

Still haven't figured out where the 'Solved/Unsolved' went to.
    Last edited by June7; 03-31-2012 at 11:30 AM.

I did notice the autosave, don't think I have seen that on any other forum. Not sure how it benefits. If my internet connection drops and I try to save post, do I just reestablish connection and click 'back' or 'refresh' on my browser and my text will still be in the post editor?
    The auto-save is very reliable by employing the server database, your draft is auto-saved every 60 seconds, it's as safe as your posts. No matter how you lose your input, accidentally click, power failure, or intentional leave, you will see a restore link when you revisit the same thread.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	autosave.gif 
Views:	70 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	6417

Still haven't figured out with the 'Solved/Unsolved' went to.
    Currently it's only visible to OP, I will make the change so that all participants will be able to use it. I need more time to study the code.

June7 is offline VIP
    Okay, had a chance to use the restore earlier, just didn't notice the link, darn.

I still don't see a Solved/Unsolved on this thread. Aren't I the OP? Should it be listed under Thread Tools?

I still don't see a Solved/Unsolved on this thread. Aren't I the OP? Should it be listed under Thread Tools?
    Oh no, it's not available on the off-topic forums.

June7 is offline VIP
    Thanks, I was beginning to suspect that, makes sense.

recyan is offline Expert
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    Perhaps, it's me, but I find it difficult to read as compared to the earlier. Eg: The New Posts page.
    It could be a case of getting used to - but then I had this difficulty the first day this new format came up & thought perhaps a few days of adjustment should do it. But the situation remains the same for me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by recyan View Post
    Perhaps, it's me, but I find it difficult to read as compared to the earlier.
    I agree, but I seem to get used to it after a few days.

recyan is offline Expert
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    I agree, but I seem to get used to it after a few days.
    Yeah, You are right. For some it is a shorter period & for some like me it is a longer period.

Thanks

Update:

'Quick links' menu is now available on every page.

All participants of a thread can mark the thread as solved.

There are two searches on this forum: built-in forum search and Google search, they should be enough if used properly. No plan to change the search.

If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to post here or PM me. Thanks!

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Getting better all the time! Thanks for the Quick Links, that's a big help.

I was just wondering about the colors on the posts - some red, some blue, some grey? What does that signify?

June7 is offline VIP
    Icons and color coding is explained at bottom of each forum thread list page.

I did tests of the post recovery.

I deliberately canceled adding a new post, went back into creating a new post, the recover button was available but when I clicked it, IE froze. This was on my home laptap. Should recovery work on a new post?

I just now here at work tested by deliberately canceling edit of existing post, went back to edit it and clicked the recover button and the revision showed up! This is great!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.