Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003

sending gmail email through access

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to set up Access to automatically send emails from a gmail account. Found some code online but there was no support section for it. I think I may be missing a reference but I have CDO as well as the ActiveX references. The error I'm receiving and the code follows.

Error: A problem occured while Microsoft Office Access was communicating with the OLE Server or ActiveX Control.

Code:
    Code:
    Set cdomsg = CreateObject("CDO.message")
    With cdomsg.Configuration.Fields
    .Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusing") = 2 'NTLM method
    .Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserver") = "smtp.gmail.com"
    .Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smptserverport") = 587
    .Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpauthenticate") = 1
    .Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpusessl") = True
    .Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpconnectiontimeout") = 60
    .Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusername") = "email@gmail.com"
    .Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendpassword") = "password"
    .Update
    End With
    ' build email parts
    With cdomsg
    .To = "email@domain"
    .From = "username"
    .subject = "the email subject"
    .TextBody = "the full message body goes here. you may want to create a variable to hold the text"
    .Send
    End With
    Set cdomsg = Nothing
    Thanks

Windows XP Access 2003
    any ideas anyone?

HiTechCoach is offline MS MVP - Access Expert
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    See if this helps:

Visual Basic Email via Gmail Tutorial

Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach
    Microsoft Access MVP

Windows XP Access 2003
    thanks but that's where i got the code to begin with =P

Quote Originally Posted by TheShabz View Post
    thanks but that's where i got the code to begin with =P
    I use the the CDO/SMTP code, but not with gmail

I will give it a try and see if I can get it to work.

Well, I have tried the code in the link and it did not work. I have tried code use and it will not work with gmail.

Did a little googling and this seems to be a common problem.

I am going to see if I can configure outlook to send with gmail to see what setting are required.

Matrix is offline Admin
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Not sure about the code, but Gmail account must be configured before sending/receiving emails with a client software, it's in Gmail Settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    Not sure about the code, but Gmail account must be configured before sending/receiving emails with a client software, it's in Gmail Settings.
    That is what I have been reading.

In gmail, I have turned on POP3, and IMAP. I am able to use my Plam Pre to send and recevie just fine.

I have not figured out if there is some other setting in gmail to chnage.
    Last edited by HiTechCoach; 07-27-2010 at 07:01 PM.

Windows XP Access 2003
    well, heres a little more background. (sorry for the late reply as i didnt get any notifications about replies =/ )

The purpose of this app is to notify myself and my partner when a data request is submitted. I am trying to develop a db that will act as sort of a help ticket system. the data request will be logged and an email will be sent with a cc to the user. this way we can keep everything tracked.

The reason I am trying to use gmail is that Outlook security settings requires you to manually allow the sending of an email when its automated. Since my users are total IDtenT's, the only way I could convince them to go with it is if it was very very simple to use. having them click ok on Outlook to send an email isnt an option.

I figured the Gmail approach would be the best option so I started searching for that. If you guys have any better ideas, I'm all ears.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShabz View Post
    well, heres a little more background. (sorry for the late reply as i didnt get any notifications about replies =/ )

The purpose of this app is to notify myself and my partner when a data request is submitted. I am trying to develop a db that will act as sort of a help ticket system. the data request will be logged and an email will be sent with a cc to the user. this way we can keep everything tracked.

The reason I am trying to use gmail is that Outlook security settings requires you to manually allow the sending of an email when its automated. Since my users are total IDtenT's, the only way I could convince them to go with it is if it was very very simple to use. having them click ok on Outlook to send an email isnt an option.

I figured the Gmail approach would be the best option so I started searching for that. If you guys have any better ideas, I'm all ears.

I current use this method a lot using my own domain/mail server to send information from my apps similar to what you are doing.. Just not with gmail.

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Try adding the following line to your code (to use SSL):

Code:
    .Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpusessl") = True
    Once I added that line, it worked for me.

Windows XP Access 2003
    that line is already there

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Hrm, so it is. . .

Have you secured your G-Mail account (set it to require SSL)? If you haven't that could be the problem.

Try this and see if it works. . . If it doesn't then it has to be some setting either on your computer/network or with your G-Mail account because it works for me.

Windows XP Access 2003
    after configuring Gmail, I a run-time error '-2147220973 cannot connect to server error. I then tried your mdb and got the same error. I'll try it again at home and see if i get the same issues. If not, it's my network and I'll have to run the hellish gauntlet that is IT access requests to get this working. I swear they've thought of every possible scenario to make life miserable.

bdenton is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Adding attachments

I am haveing difficulties adding the ability to add attachments. I have reviewed the Microsoft CDO for Exchange 2000 Library and have had no success. If anyone could assist in this regard it would be appreciated. I used the above example database (TheShabz_Email.mdb) as a base. Thanks B

Quote Originally Posted by Rawb View Post
    Hrm, so it is. . .

Have you secured your G-Mail account (set it to require SSL)? If you haven't that could be the problem.

Try this and see if it works. . . If it doesn't then it has to be some setting either on your computer/network or with your G-Mail account because it works for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.