Nathan Plemons is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Limit Report to top 5

I have a query that returns 2 columns, numberofdups and title. I have a report based on the query that returns this data in a pretty view.

I have the query restricted to return the results within a certain date range and it sorts based off of the numberofdups. What I want to do is to limit report to only show the TOP 5. I'm really a total access noob, so I am not even really sure if this needs to be done in the query or the report itself. The query would be good because I am also pulling a chart from the query and it would be awesome if the chart was also limited to only showing the top five.

I've found all kinds of scripts, and so called "tutorials" on how to do similar things but unfortunately none of them seem to fit exactly what I'm trying to do, or they seem to require some knowledge of VB which I will be the first to admit that I have NO knowledge of.

Could anybody give me a complete "idiots guide" to limiting the number of results in a query or report?

Thanks!

Nathan Plemons is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Why is it that you always find the answer 2.3 seconds after posting the question and therefore look like an idiot?

I found that I can go into the SQL view and put in "Top 5" in the SELECT line.

Only "quirk" is that currently my dataset is limited so that if I have more than one entry that returns the same number, it might still return more than 5 results. This PROBABLY won't be a problem in production, but I suppose it could be. Any ideas on how to address this?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.