ROCKET01 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Moving Access Objects Between Databases

I have developed a secure database called 'ILT System.mdb' for the ILT Team using the default workgroup information file Routeways.Mdw. However this default WIF is also the main security file for another team (Employment).

What I want to do is to create a new WIF Called ILTSystem.MDW which contains only users of the ILT TEAM. I create the file and join it to the ILTSystem.mdb but when I do, I come up against the "don't have the necessary permissions to use this database" message.

Any Ideas of how to get around it, If I create a new database file with the ILT System.mdw it allows it, but once I try to import the objects from the ILT System.mdb I get the "don't have the necessary permissions to use this database" message again.

Any ideas.

apr pillai is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    First of all we will explore the easiest solution for this.

1. If you have Administrative Rights (or if you are the Ower of this database, i.e. you have created this database under your UserID within this WIF) in the Routeways.mdw file then create a separate Workgroup Account (say ILTTEAM) for ILT Team in this WIF. You can create more Group Accounts this way for the ILT Team, if required.
    2. Assign object-wise (Tables, Forms, Report, Macros) permissons to the ILTTEAM Group Account.
    3. Add individual ILT Team User Accounts to this Group Account.
    4. If any of the ILT Team member is part of any other Group Account then remove them from that group, except Users Group.

Microsoft Access Security Token have several pieces of informations put together and we can call them security key elements. You can see these infornation in the form of a Key from here: Microsoft Access Security Key Diagram.

1. Workgroup Information File's internal Name, Organization Name, Unique ID - these three information must be saved somewhere if you want to recreate the WIF.
    2. Each User will have User Name, Personal ID & Password (Grooup Account will have only Group Name and Personal ID).

These six elements of the Security Token are only kept in the WIF. Individual Objects (Tables, Form etc.) Access Right informations (Read, Write, Modify, Delete etc.) are kept within the individual database itself. When User's information from WIF and Access Rights information from the database fits together then you will get access to the database and it's individual objects, otherwise you will not.

I hope, now you know why you didn't get access to the database when you have joined a different Workground Information File. When you create a separate Workgroup Information for your database you are expected to provide the Routeways.mdw file's internal Name, Organization Name & Unique ID information, which you doesn't have with you.

Read more on Microsoft Access Security from here.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    AP's advice is first rate. I do feel obligated to add the point that you should keep in mind that you are developing in a 10 year old version of the application. This workgroup security was abandoned by Microsoft in the .accdb format beginning with Access 2007. ... fyi.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.