dougie is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Setting crosstab headings dynamically

I have a crosstab based on a query. Depending on the selection criteria used in the base query the crosstab will generate different column headings, predictable in advance. For example if the user chooses 'Fruit' the crosstab column headings will be 'orange, apple, pear' and if he chooses 'Vegetable' they will be 'onion, potato, carrot'. Can I set these column headings dynamically with VBA so that I can use just one crosstab for all user selections? Creating a different crosstab for each possible user selection and hard-coding the column headings in the crosstab properties isn't a good idea as the fruits might not always be 'orange, apple, pear'.

I'm using Access 2007.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    If this can be done, I am guessing would require modifying query with QueryDef class properties.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

dougie is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Solution

Sussed it. You write VBA to append an 'IN' clause to the SQL string of the crosstab. Here's the SQL constructed by code:

TRANSFORM Sum(qryManufNPReason.NP) AS SumOfNP
    SELECT qryManufNPReason.Department, Sum(qryManufNPReason.NP) AS [Total Of NP]
    FROM qryManufNPReason
    GROUP BY qryManufNPReason.Department
    PIVOT qryManufNPReason.NPReasonDescription In ('Supervision','New Product','Testing','Rechargeable','Laser','Tool setting','R&D');

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Ah, I was assuming a saved Access query object. I have never needed crosstabs and never done in VBA. Will have to keep this in mind. Thanks for posting solution.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.