James Parker is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Make a Switchboard That Contains Queries

The training I've seen for making a switchboard seems to be limited to adding forms or reports, but I am interested in adding queries. Do I just make the switchboard as if it were to be composed of forms, but then link to the queries instead?

Additionally my queries, as currently configured, prompt for a date range (start and end) and then depending on the purpose, will also ask for entry of numerical codes or part numbers. The end users do not want to type in any data, but would rather have the switchboard initiate pop-up tables that show the numerical codes or part numbers, and then they would just click what they want.

Finally, I have configured pivot charts to express the results of the query visually. I have been manually moving from the datasheet view over to the pivot chart view by right mouse clicking on the query tab and choosing pivot chart. The end users want the results of the query to jump immediately into the pivot chart view without any additional input from them.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I haven't used wizard to build a switchboard, I manually build 'menu' forms and write VBA code for them, I don't use macros. However, don't see why couldn't have command associated with a switchboard control be one to open query or even table. Question is - why do this? Can't have code behind table or query.

I don't use input parameter prompts in queries. Can't validate user input. I have users input values to controls on form and then query refers to controls for the parameter. Use comboboxes to give users choices. Your 'pop-up tables' would be forms with a data control like a combobox. You might find this tutorial of interest http://datapigtechnologies.com/flash...tomfilter.html

You click on what query tab to choose pivot chart?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

James Parker is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    The way I have been accessing the pivot chart has been through the following steps:
    1. Run the query
    2. Results appear in the datasheet view
    3. When the datasheet view opens there is a little tab on the top (above the row with the names of each field)
    4. I move the cursor to this tab and right mouse click. This opens up a box in which several choices appear (save, close, SQL view etc.) I left mouse click on Pivot Chart View, and this opens up the chart representation of the results of my query.
    This has worked fine for development purposes as my first goal was to make the queries and get the charts to look the way I wanted them to. However, the end users do not want to go through these steps. They envision the following sequence:
    1. Open Access and immediately see the switchboard
    2. Queries are identified on the switchboard and have appropriate control buttons
    3. Press desired control button, get some sort of a calendar popup to choose start and end date, then get subsequent pop-up lists for codes and part numbers per internal parameter coding in the query.
    4. The appropriate code and/or part number is clicked, and then the chart opens automatically.
    I am new to Access, so I am just now learning about switchboards.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I don't see the 'tab' you describe. However, can click the Views button on Home ribbon or right click any blank area of the query header bar to get the shortcut menu.

All you describe can be done with code, certainly with VBA and not sure about macros.

Actually, step 1 does not require code. A form can be set to open on default when the project opens. This is a project property setting. Click Office Button > Access Options > Current Database > choose appropriate settings.

Proceed with attempts on the other items, one step at a time. As you encounter issues, start thread with specific question.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.