TheChairman is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Opening a back-end database exclusively from front-end

The company I work for is still quite new and has yet to buy a server or lease space from a managed host service. Instead, we are all using Dropbox to share our files. Dropbox doesn't play nice with databases and the only Dropbox file check-in/check-out program I know of, NotifyBox, doesn't work with Access yet. Until we get a server, we don't have multi-user capability for Access databases. Anytime more than one user tries to write to the database at the same time, Dropbox will produce a new copy of the database.

As a temporary workaround, I am wondering if users can open up the database for exclusive access in order to prevent data collisions. I have already split the database into back- and front-end databases, with the back-end stored in the Dropbox folder and the front-end deployed to each user's local client. I can have users open their front-end databases exclusively, but I need them to be able to open the back-end exclusively as well. Any idea how I can do this? Alternatively, any ideas about best practices until we get a server, like procedures that our employees should follow to prevent data collision and loss?

Stingaway is offline Efficiency Junkie
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    The deep south. Keep going until you hit water basically.
    Are your employees all in one location or remotely located?

Quote Originally Posted by Stingaway View Post
    Are your employees all in one location or remotely located?
    We are all in one location, though since the back end is hosted on Dropbox, which is web - based, I am not sure what difference that makes.

If you are all in one location you could set up sharing on a drive locally and be done with dropbox... the only caveat being that the machine would have to be turned on and everyone would need access to the directory on that particular computer.

Ah, of course! Duh...why didn't I think of that? Thanks. I just hope that our network is set up to allow sharing. Our IT infrastructure is fairly primitive right now. Will try it out today.

Yeah it's always the little things. Not everything has to be on the internet.

Insert collective gasp and record scratch here.

Well, I guess our setup is even more primitive than I had thought. Our computers aren't even networked to one another, which explains why we are using Dropbox. We need to get our IT contractor to set this up for us, though goodness knows when that will happen. So in the meantime, I'm going to have to come up with some sort of low-tech procedures to minimize the amount of data collision. This ought to be fun...

Depending on your office setup, I am thinking a cheap wireless router and some 12 dollar wireless g usb cards (if necessary) might do the trick... (working on the cheap is a common theme with the budgets I am used to...)

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.