gopherking is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Unable to update some Sharepoint List records via Access 2007

I am currently moving an existing Access Database into a Sharepoint 2007 site for tracking user enhancement requests. The Sharepoint site is very simple with two main Lists, one of which contains the initial request information that could be updated by admins via the Access Database. What I am finding when editing some of the records in the linked Sharepoint Table in Access is that I receive the following error and cannot for the life of me figure out why it is only occurring on some records and not all? Here is the Error:

You cannot update this field because the value you're trying to apply is not valid or would break a data integrity rule. Please correct and try again.

The interesting thing is that I have changed other records to the same value I was attempting on the record that would not work and it was accepted with no problems.

Does anyone know why this may be occurring and how I can possibly prevent it from happening?

My original solution provided may not have been 100% accurate, based on my findings after making new Choice Fields and believing I had resolved the issue, I was wrong.

What I have now found and identified as the true culprit to is that I have been using an EditForm.aspx and had changed existing Choice FormFields into Text Boxes to allow for the data to be set a readonly. By doing this, when users opened an existing record to edit it, they were not able to adjust the Text Boxes that were readonly which was a good thing, but the result of it was when the EditForm.aspx was submitted, it saved the changed view of the multiple options selected from the Text Box into the Choice field (thus generating a new option only for that field in that record). This is what has prevented me from being able to edit records in Access 2007.

To resolve this, on my EditForm.aspx, I changed the Text Boxes back to FormFields and simply marked the property "visible" to equal "False". Since these fields did not have to be viewed by the users, this option worked for me and then I added verbiage into a cell just below explaining what the users had to do next. By doing this, the FormFields remained intact and the data was not manipulated by the different field type.

After submitting a few requests, I have been able to successfully modify each one in Access.

Sorry if my previous post had misled anyone and hopefully this one will resolve any issues you may encounter with the same error.
    Last edited by gopherking; 01-05-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Removed this post as it did not pertain ...
    Last edited by gopherking; 01-05-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.