_Paul_ is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Is Access The Right Software For My Needs?

Hi Guys,
    I need a program for my plastering (drywall) business.
    I'm hoping i can get a program that does it all.
    Client list, Quotes , Job Schedule , Invoice, Expenses, Accounts, Reports etc.

Is this the software I should be using ?

I'm not a programmer, I have used excel for years and have just started learning access.
    Thanks for any help
    Paul

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Access is commonly used for this type of data management. You might find a template already built that would suit your needs. Maybe freebie or for less cost than if you built yourself.

Google: Access template database contract management

This one might come close but I have no experience with it and it is not a freebie http://www.blueclaw-db.com/construct...g_software.htm
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

_Paul_ is offline Novice
    Thanks for replying, I will have a look at the link you sent me and try google again with your search title. Im not looking for a freebie and would gladly pay if i find what i need. I found one program that was close to what i needed and asked if they would make a few changes, and they said yes, But they are not getting back to me 3months on.
    Thanks
    Paul

_Paul_ is offline Novice
    Thanks , After looking over this forum I realize that it will take a lot of time and effort to make what i need, Templates i have downloaded so far aren't close to what im after. I certainly enjoy playing with access, but im sure that would all change once i rely on it for work. I will most likely be paying for a program or someone to design what i need.

Access_Blaster is offline User
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by _Paul_ View Post
    Thanks , After looking over this forum I realize that it will take a lot of time and effort to make what i need, Templates i have downloaded so far aren't close to what im after. I certainly enjoy playing with access, but im sure that would all change once i rely on it for work. I will most likely be paying for a program or someone to design what i need.
    Templates are ok, but as you are finding out they rarely fit. What I like to do is find one that is as close as possible to my project then import only the tables into a fresh new database. That way you save a lot of time normalizing the structures. Of course you may have to still add or subtract tables and or fields, but you can get up to speed very quickly without reinventing the wheel.

hth

Richard

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Paul,

I would encourage you to look at commercially built software that meets your needs. Since you have been using Excel, you know the processes and data involved. But Access is a much different animal than Excel. You could go the custom build route, but that can be expensive and can be feature limiting unless you spell out all of the specifications and costs up front.

If you have a list of things that you want this software/application to do, then look at some available packages, look at their features and costs, and adjustable/custom routines etc. Look for a good user base and positive customer feedback.

You're in the drywall business, not software development, keep that in mind and good luck.

June7 is online now VIP
    Yes, try not to reinvent the wheel. Hopefully there is something out there that could be adapted to your needs. If you have to build from scratch, depending on complexity, could take thousands of dollars and hundreds of staff hours. I have built several projects for our office that took from a few weeks to 4 years. The 4 year project was replacing a 20-year old dBase DOS laboratory data management app and probably cost about $140,000 in consultant fees and staff time. We could find nothing existing that was easily adaptable. If we had paid for development by outside resource I expect the cost would have been much higher. I expect your development would be somewhat quicker and cheaper but probably not less than implementing an existing package.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

_Paul_ is offline Novice
    Thanks again for the feedback guys, I wrote an email to keep it easy software about when they think my changes will be done by, I hope they will get back to me. This has been the only thing ive found close to what i need.
    Im in australia , so i have been trying to find one that suits my needs here, Im going to try software from other parts of the world, I have before but they look like they need more adjusting than the one i found. Hopefully it isn't a big deal to make the software metric.

June7 is online now VIP
    Find out if the product will be modifiable by you. In other words, do they provide only an executable version, no design edits permitted? So that for every little change you have to go back to them?

_Paul_ is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Find out if the product will be modifiable by you. In other words, do they provide only an executable version, no design edits permitted? So that for every little change you have to go back to them?
    I like that idea, If the other program i was looking at did that, I could have possibly made the small changes myself by now. Im finding that most google answers are drywall estimating and thats all. Ill keep searching, there has to be one amongst the ads and estimating programs.
    Thanks

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I did a quick search using
    small business software for contract management and estimation
    and found this - seems to have metric and a demo version for testing.
    I have no idea if it's even close to your needs
    http://www.turtlesoft.com/

and then this for painting and drywall
    http://www.turtleconstruction.com/pa..._software.html

_Paul_ is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    I did a quick search using
    small business software for contract management and estimation
    and found this - seems to have metric and a demo version for testing.
    I have no idea if it's even close to your needs
    http://www.turtlesoft.com/

and then this for painting and drywall
    http://www.turtleconstruction.com/pa..._software.html

Hi Orange,
    That is one demo i have downloaded and played with, I wasn't happy with that one, Just too busy with so much stuff i would never use.
    Also looks like it was made on windows 3.1 ,not that it matters.
    Thanks for looking
    Cheers

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.