sms2720 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

single form multiple database

Hi All,

I want to create a single form i.e. front end will be single form visible only but in this form will have multiple database. Is it possible to do this in tab control or with option button.

And is it possible to do convert this in a installation package where the users will not have access in there system & can they use it ?

please advice ..

Toyman is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by sms2720 View Post
    Hi All,

I want to create a single form i.e. front end will be single form visible only but in this form will have multiple database. Is it possible to do this in tab control or with option button.

And is it possible to do convert this in a installation package where the users will not have access in there system & can they use it ?

please advice ..
    Yes, you just create your frontend with linked tables from the verious backend dbs

Wow!!!! Thats great to hear.
    Sorry for the late reply..
    But can u tell me how to do this. Is it possible to have different database in different location on the shared Drive & all people can access the front end form in the share drive location & update the form ?
    I am creating the front end form in the Navigation form where we will have tab on the top & each tab will be linked to the different form.

For example in the first tab we have details of purchasing good. so i want to make this form to give the look of excel sheet so i created the form in datasheet, & given all the headers to it. But i am unable to paste multiple values in the same column at once. I am able to give only single value at once. can u please tell me how can i paste multiple values at the same time in the column as we do the same in excel file.

Thanks in advance..

Wow!!!! Thats great to hear.
    Sorry for the late reply..
    But can u tell me how to do this. Is it possible to have different database in different location on the shared Drive & all people can access the front end form in the share drive location & update the form ?
    I am creating the front end form in the Navigation form where we will have tab on the top & each tab will be linked to the different form.

For example in the first tab we have details of purchasing good. so i want to make this form to give the look of excel sheet so i created the form in datasheet, & given all the headers to it. But i am unable to paste multiple values in the same column at once. I am able to give only single value at once. can u please tell me how can i paste multiple values at the same time in the column as we do the same in excel file.

Thanks in advance..
    To create a frontend with verious tables from multiple dbs, you just use the link table wizzard to pull the necessary tables from one backend and then use the same wizzard to pull tables from other backends.

To combind fields into one field, all you have to do is create a query based on the table(s). Lets say you have one field called, "LastName" and another called "FirstName". You want to create one field combining the two fields and call it EmpName. So, you create a new column in the query and put the following: EmpName: [LastName] & " " & [FirstName]

Hi Toyman,
    Thanks for the reply.
    I am sorry to say that i am unable to understand what u have said. I have tried to look for link table wizard but i am unable to find it. Can u pls tell me where i can find it & how do i link the fields of a form in 1st database to the table in 2nd database.
    U mean to say that first i have to create a 1st database where we will have only forms of frontend. As i said u earlier i am creating the frontend from in Navigation form where i will click the 1st tab & go the respective form .
    Now how do i link the fields of this form to the table in the 2nd database. This i wanted to do this because they are more than 500 people who will access this form at once on daily basis and update it & they view of the form will be in datasheet view.
    Will this form can handle this much people when they update the form all at once or it will get crash ?

Thank in advance.

Hi Toyman,
    Thanks for the reply.
    I am sorry to say that i am unable to understand what u have said. I have tried to look for link table wizard but i am unable to find it. Can u pls tell me where i can find it & how do i link the fields of a form in 1st database to the table in 2nd database.
    U mean to say that first i have to create a 1st database where we will have only forms of frontend. As i said u earlier i am creating the frontend from in Navigation form where i will click the 1st tab & go the respective form .
    Now how do i link the fields of this form to the table in the 2nd database. This i wanted to do this because they are more than 500 people who will access this form at once on daily basis and update it & they view of the form will be in datasheet view.
    Will this form can handle this much people when they update the form all at once or it will get crash ?

Thank in advance.
    Keep in mind, MS Access is designed for medium size usage, and 500 people accessing the database at once will difinately overwhelm the database. You should look into using SQL Server as the backend. You can download a free stripped down version of MS SQL Server 2008 Express R2 from the MS website. Use that as the backend instead. Create ODBC connections from the backend so your user will have accsss.

To create link tables in the frontend, select the "External Data" tab from the ribbon. Select the type of database you are accessing the external data. In the "Get External Data" window, select "Link to data source by creating linked tables". You then follow the rest of the wizzard to establish the linked tables to your frontend

Hi Toyman,
    As per ur guidance i am able to create the linking of table from 1st database to the 2nd database. But to do this i have created the table in the 1st database & linked this table to the 2nd database which is creating the same table in the 2nd database. As we have created the table in 1st database in which we have the frontend form. Do it make any difference to the forms ?
    By linking the table from 1st database to the 2nd database do it transfer all data to 2nd database from 1st database or it will save it in both database. If it stores the database in 1st database as well as then does it will make any difference to the frontend form as it will store the data in the 1st database which will make the size of the file heavy.
    For ur reference how i am doing the frontend form i am have attached the images.

As u can also see the tab on the left side which has names like F1, F2, F3, & F4. They are different forms & different types of works & done by different people at the same time. As said before that 500 people which will be working but they are divide according to the works but not all on a same single form. And each work will have each different table. For example F1 work is done by around 150 people so they all will be accessing the F1 form & will be updating it.

Please share your thoughts what you think, I may be sounding crazy or mad to u by this.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Toyman,
    As per ur guidance i am able to create the linking of table from 1st database to the 2nd database. But to do this i have created the table in the 1st database & linked this table to the 2nd database which is creating the same table in the 2nd database. As we have created the table in 1st database in which we have the frontend form. Do it make any difference to the forms ?
    By linking the table from 1st database to the 2nd database do it transfer all data to 2nd database from 1st database or it will save it in both database. If it stores the database in 1st database as well as then does it will make any difference to the frontend form as it will store the data in the 1st database which will make the size of the file heavy.
    For ur reference how i am doing the frontend form i am have attached the images.

As u can also see the tab on the left side which has names like F1, F2, F3, & F4. They are different forms & different types of works & done by different people at the same time. As said before that 500 people which will be working but they are divide according to the works but not all on a same single form. And each work will have each different table. For example F1 work is done by around 150 people so they all will be accessing the F1 form & will be updating it.

Please share your thoughts what you think, I may be sounding crazy or mad to u by this.

Thanks in advance.
    Without knowing the actual work and function of your company I am unable to give you advise as to whether your db structure is correct for your company. However, to answer your first question. If your linked tables are linked correctly, all data entered or referenced to via the linked table will occurred at the main tables. The linked tables actually does not hold any data. It is just a pass-through to the actual tables.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.