bushkanaka86 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Managing Inventory in Access

Hello,

I am very new to using Access but I was needing a database to help manage inventory at a small repair shop. We have been using Excel for a while but we are wanting a bit more functionality now. While I am good with computers in general, Access is new to me so I am having trouble figuring out how to do what I want.

Right now, I have a way for new items to be added to the inventory through a form and they are added to my Table. However, what I am trying to do is set up a way Add/Remove items from inventory without having to look at the Table and do the math myself.

I would like to create a form where someone can type the item ID number and it will automatically populate the name of the item and how many are on hand. Then there would be a place to type a number and either add or remove that many of that particular item.

I was messing around with DLookUp to try and get that to work but I couldn't figure it out.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    A principle of relational database is 'input raw data, do calcs in reports'. Trying to manually manage aggregate data will drive you nuts. Input transactions of inventory in and inventory out and then design reports to calculate the balance. This has been done before. Template databases are available for adaptation to your needs. You can open one of the templates offered by MS. You can see the choices when you create a new project. Or Google: Access inventory database template.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.