Phoenyxsgirl is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Access Not Responding

I am having a lot of issues with Access not responding on the front end db users.

The back end database runs fine. My front end copy was running fine. I had one user whose Access was uber slow - like 5-10 minutes to pull up a table.

When I tried to open his fe on my computer, I began having issues. I deleted his files, system restored, then recreated his fe db. He still has issues. The issues now have started with my own db and spread to a few others.

Where do I start with fixing this? Any ideas?

Toyman is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenyxsgirl View Post
    I am having a lot of issues with Access not responding on the front end db users.

The back end database runs fine. My front end copy was running fine. I had one user whose Access was uber slow - like 5-10 minutes to pull up a table.

When I tried to open his fe on my computer, I began having issues. I deleted his files, system restored, then recreated his fe db. He still has issues. The issues now have started with my own db and spread to a few others.

Where do I start with fixing this? Any ideas?
    Compac and repair would be the first thing I do

*feels so stupid* that just makes too much sense lol I should have thought of it. I'm thinking too big I guess.

So, do I run this on both the front AND back ends? and on all copies?

I did this on all copies - it didn't help. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Access - it didn't help.

I tried moving the be to a slave drive. It hasn't helped.

I did this on all copies - it didn't help. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Access - it didn't help.

I tried moving the be to a slave drive. It hasn't helped.
    Does this happen when only one is linked to the BE with no one else?

i will have to check on that and get back to you.

uh yes, yes it does. That's not good. I just made sure I was the only one linked to the database. When I try to update the linked tables to the new be location, it spins and spins its wheels.

uh yes, yes it does. That's not good. I just made sure I was the only one linked to the database. When I try to update the linked tables to the new be location, it spins and spins its wheels.
    Have you check to ensure that the folder in which the BE is located has the security access set to allow everyone full access to it, or at least read/write?

Its also running incredibly slow now. Is the network just not fast enough to share the database? Everything else works fine except for Microsoft Office programs (Excel and Outlook)

Its also running incredibly slow now. Is the network just not fast enough to share the database? Everything else works fine except for Microsoft Office programs (Excel and Outlook)
    When you open the tables in the BE via your network, is it as slow as if you open them via the linked tables?

I finally got the linked table manager to switch over just by doing a few tables at a time instead of all of them. It still took way longer than it should.

No, the back end doesn't take any time to operate. Its instantaneous as it should be. When I transferred the back end to my own computer again, I re-linked the tables.. it worked much faster. I then went to Compact & Repair again and now its instantaneous.

I'm going to assume therefore that its the network but I can't find any specs suggesting what to do with our network/homegroup to make things run better.

Please keep the thoughts coming!!!! You are a great help!

Ok so I did some research - I had to do this all in a limited amount of time so I can't tell you what step worked.

I brought the users/homegroup down from 16 to 7.

I changed the registry buffer of the Access db engine to 50000

I changed the network settings by unchecking the IPv6 option for connection.
    That made the biggest difference - one of those two things or maybe both together.

I erased all the database files except my own and re-distributed the front end. Before sending it out again, I added all indexes, compact n repair, and maximized performance through every method possible.

It is still a little slow but not nearly what it was. I've gone around today to make sure that every computer is completely updated, defragged, cleaned up, and not running any 'extras'.

One of the optimizations is to save the database as an MDE file. How is this done in Access 2007? Is it the ACCDE ?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.